Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7452 Discussions

Compatibility Network Interface Card (NIC)

Jurij_
Novice

Hello there,

I'm an engineering student and I'm trying to capture Channel State Information (CSI) from the WiFi signal. 

Now I have two questions.

1) I use both a Linux distribution as well as Windows on my laptop. My Linux system says that the used NIC is a AX1650 which is from the Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi Series collection, but my Windows says that the used NIC is a AX201, which is from the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 Series collection. So my first question is "Why does a different operating system have different names for the NIC?"

2) During literature study I found that most papers use an IWL5300 NIC, because there are dedicated CSI extractors. (I know that Intel doesn't provide support on how to extract this data as said in this  thread). Now there is one CSI extractor for the AX201 (PicoScenes). Now, I just want to ask "How do I know if I can swap certain NICs without a problem. Are these NICs hardware specific, or driver specific?".

Thank you for you help.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij_, 

To answer your question, please share with us the specific laptop model that is showing different WIFI components. For your second question, do you mean swapping or changing the wireless card in your laptop to an AX201 ? If not, please tell me more about the system wherein you are trying to swap out the wireless components.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij_,

I am checking in with you regarding the details I requested in my last post. Please share them with us here so we can help you more effectively.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Jurij_
Novice

Hey there Ramyer M,

Thanks for your answer. 

Firstly, I'm using PicoScenes to capture CSI. But I'm still wondering about the fact that different OS's call my NIC a different name (I'd think they both would show the same name). 

So the laptop model I have is the Lenovo 81YH. And again if I look specs up online on this model I see the NIC that my Windows says I have.

For my second question, essentially I want to ask if the AX201 and IWL5300 are 'hardware swappable'.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Best,

Jurij

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij, 

Thank you for sharing us the details. For your first question, it is best if I coordinate this with my internally and keep this thread posted for updates. 

Regarding the swapping of AX201 and IWL5300, I want to let you know that An Intel® Wireless Adapter installed in a system that is being sold on the market doesn't necessarily mean that same wireless adapter can be used or installed in any other systems. As each country may have different regulatory requirements, before you install/change the Intel® Wireless Adapter in a system, you must contact the system manufacturer to determine if the Intel® Wireless Adapters you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. You are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements. You may also visit this link for more information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/wireless.html

Ramyer M. 

RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij

Thank you for patiently waiting. After coordinating with our team, could you provide the original operating system and Wi-Fi module that are installed on your Lenovo 81YH? If you are using Linux, we would appreciate it you could retrieve the full dmesg log by typing # dmesg and then locating the dmesg.log file. Furthermore, are there any error messages related to the wireless connection? By the way, if you are using Windows, please send us the SSU logs instead. You may download it at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij, 

Were you able to see my previous post? I am just checking in for the information we requested. Feel free to reply to this post so we can better assist you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Jurij_
Novice

Hello Ramyer

I did.

First off all, I don't have any errors.

I attached the SSU logs. 

I also double checked and my Linux system (on the same hardware) still says that the NIC is called "AX1650 Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi Series" and my Windows system (on the same hardware) says the NIC is "AX201 Intel® Wi-Fi 6 Series".

Regarding the swapping of the NICs, I understand that there are regulatory terms, and that "Only the manufacturer or its authorized representative can install the adapters." as said here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/wireless.html

But I don't really know where to start contacting people and how to do it.

Best

Jurij

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij, 

Thank you for your response. Since the laptop is a Lenovo, it is best to reach out to Lenovo support. However, we want to further check this for you since different component shows in your system. Just to confirm, is it showing in your device manager as well? Additionally, so we can check both the windows and Linux configuration, kindly please share with us the SSU logs when using Linux. Finally, please provide the original operating system and Wi-Fi module that are installed on your Lenovo 81YH. This will help us greatly into checking this for you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij, 

Were you able to reach out to Lenovo support? If you haven't yet, feel free to share the information I have asked in my previous so we can find what is the cause of this issue. I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Jurij_
Novice

Hello again,

So I've attached the SSU logs of my Linux system. Again we see that the Linux calls my NIC a different name as I mentioned earlier in my answers namely "Intel Corporation Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter". 

To answer your question about the Lenovo support, I have not been able to contact them, since they don't support chatting for this laptop: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/be/en/live-chat-customer-support

To answer your last question, the laptop's original OS is Windows. For the original WiFi module, I'm not sure, but I think it's the module that my Windows machine says namely the AX201. Because if I look for the specification of the Lenovo 81YH, all datasheets tell me AX201.

https://www.vpci.com/Products/overview/M021021824?redirect=1#:~:text=Intel%20Wi%2DFi%206%20AX%20201%20%2D%20M.2%20Card

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad1_igl_rn_nb_multi_sar.pdf page 12, number 2

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij_, 

Thank you for sharing us the logs. Since this is an OEM (Branded Laptop) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system. Just to confirm as well, you are seeing different wireless component in the device manager of your system right? When you purchased the unit, did you made any changes to the wireless component included on the system before?

AS for who to contact regarding your plan to change the wireless component, you must contact the system manufacturer which is Lenovo to determine if the Intel® Wireless Adapters you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. I want to let you know that you are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements from them before making any changes. 

Ramyer M. 

RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij_,

How are you doing? Were you able to contact Lenovo Support? I will be waiting for your reply. If you have not yet, what are you seeing in your device managers? Have you made any changes to the wireless component? I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Jurij_,

As we have not heard a response from you in the past few days, I will proceed in closing this case. We highly recommend contacting Lenovo Support to determine if the Intel® Wireless Adapters you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. Please keep in mind that you are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements from them before making any changes. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos