Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7470 Discussions

Intel AX200 Bluetooth broken after Windows Update to driver version 22.180.0.2

GoldenMullet
Beginner

I updated my Bluetooth driver via Windows update, and in the middle of the update, my mouse stopped working. "Devices" in settings said Bluetooth was turned off, but there was no way to turn it on. I checked Device Manager, and there is no Bluetooth device available. However, there is an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I tried uninstalling the drivers and updating to 22.200.0 from the Intel website, but to no avail. I was also unable to rollback the driver version. Windows Bluetooth troubleshooter also fails to find a Bluetooth device.

The wireless adapter is an embedded one from the Asus X570-E motherboard. Previous driver version, also from Windows update, was 22.160.0.4 and worked fine.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What happens when you power cycle (unplug from A/C for 5 minutes)? Does the mouse come back?

...S

0 Kudos
GoldenMullet
Beginner

Power cycling didn't have any effect. I switched to a wired mouse and reconnected my Bluetooth mouse through a Logitech unifying receiver, so I am able to interact with the computer, but I'm still unable to use any other Bluetooth peripherals.

I also tried restarting the Bluetooth Support Service under services.msc. No effect. Also uninstalling the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed" from Device Manager just brings the device back later, and I'm unable to manually install a driver for it. Platform is Windows 10 64 bit.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Latest driver for Bluetooth is available here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649. Give it a try and see it it fixes your issue.

If installing it doesn't help, then I suggest that you do a clean install of both the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages. Here is my process for doing so:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the desired Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable. Note this Wireless disable must be of type that will stay disabled across reboots.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  11. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  12. Install the downloaded Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the downloaded Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  16. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
pleare
Beginner

I have this exact same problem - BT disappeared after the latest update. I've tried everything including rolling back to a previous date, but it's still not there. 

Done all the troubleshooting I can find on-line with no luck. I think I'm going to physically remove the AX200 card, reboot then uninstall everything I can find relating to it, and then re-install as it was working perfectly for the past several years. What a pain! 

0 Kudos
Ryebank
Beginner

OK kudos for this needs to go to https://www.reddit.com/user/WittySession4791 ... this is total voodoo but I had exactly the same problem with Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard ... added and removed various versions of driver, disabled and reenabled bluetooth in bios etc. etc. etc - tearing my hair out until this weird fix really did fix it ... so my final steps were:

1. Install the latest intel drivers - the bluetooth one first followed by the wifi

2. Full shutdown of PC

3. Take the power cable out (and for good measure as my power supply has a separate switch I turned that off too

4. Press and hold the power button on the PC - original post says 15 seconds - I held for at least 30 - until my finger was tired!

5. I then went and made a coffee

6. Back at PC - plug back power lead, turn on swithc on power supply and restart

7. Amazingly when it all came back up bloottooh was back - and all the old BT devices seemed to still be in the list

Hope this helps someone googling the same issue .. a few keywords to help

Asus, Bluetooth, disappears, x570-E, AX200, windows update, new driver

pleare
Beginner

Well I'm bowled over! This worked for me! BT is back and working fine. I guess the soft re-start they do is not enough and making sure all the power has dissipated from the MB is what seems to be needed.

Anyway, huge thanks to you for posting - just before my last few strands of hair came out

0 Kudos
djkomic
Novice

I have a question!
I been hearing about this power supply solution but it seems to work for PC's or laptops where you can remove the battery.

I have an Asus X571GT where you can't simply remove the battery. 
Will holding down this power button solution work as well? It doesn't factory reset anything right?

sproyd
Beginner

Created an Intel account to say thank you and this voodoo solution also worked on my desktop after the 16 step uninstall/install/reboot solution didn't

MSI B450i with Intel AX200 retrofitted on the motherboard (the embedded wireless chip from the OEM failed)

0 Kudos
metalhead971
Beginner

I can't believe you found this solution, and that it actually WORKS! You are a legend. Thank you!

0 Kudos
rareunifiedfirtree

THANK YOUUUUUU!!!! Made an account to say this.

0 Kudos
plivajuci_zamorac

I also just had the same problem (Minisforum X400, Intel AX200 card, BESSTAR ATB15 MoBo), Bluetooth was GONE after Windows update, and what baffled me is that it disappeared in my (dual boot) Linux too!

After few hours googling I found this thread and wow, your solution with the power supply helped me so I registered just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING IT!!!

Dandoun
Beginner

thankx it works 

0 Kudos