Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7489 Discussions

Intel AX200 dropping connection when using WPA3 or WPA3-Transition mode

JPavonM
New Contributor I

Hi Intel team,

I'm facing lot of disconnections from multiple Lenovo laptops using Intel AX200 and driver 22.170.0.3 from Lenovo site.

This is happening after upgrading the enterprise WLAN from WPA2-Ent to WPA3-Ent and WPA2/3-Ent transistion mode.

From WPA Alliance I see this wNIC is certified to use WPA3-Ent:

JPavonM_0-1685457001045.png

I have also seen that if I configure WPA3 only mode, laptops using Intel AC8265 do connect and then connection drops from while to while.

From WPA Alliance site I see AC8265 is not certified for WPA3 then, why does it connect?, and why if using WPA2/3 transition mode they select WPA3 some times?

By the way, the WLAN Infrastructure is Cisco C9800 running codes 17.6.4 and 17.9.3 (plus APSP to fix Windows issue changing from OKC to SKC) and AP4800.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JPavonM  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 the pre-installed wi-fi card in your laptop or is it an integration (upgrade/ not the original card)? 
  2. Was it working before? 
  3. How many devices are affected? 
  4. What is the model of the laptop? 
  5. What is the specific model of your router? Is it Cisco Aironet 4800 Access Point? 
  6. Have you tried another router or AP?  
  7. Does the same issue happen in another network? 
  8. Have you tried using the latest wireless driver from Intel? 

Note: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

Hi @Jocelyn_Intel and nice to hear from you,

These are the answers to the questions:

1. Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 the pre-installed wi-fi card in your laptop or is it an integration (upgrade/ not the original card)?  Yes this is pre-installed from Lenovo
  2. Was it working before? Yes it works without any problem with WPA2-Ent
  3. How many devices are affected? The 3 users that complained where using the same laptop with same wNIC and driver version 22.170
  4. What is the model of the laptop? Lenovo T490
  5. What is the specific model of your router? Is it Cisco Aironet 4800 Access Point? Catalyst 9800 WLC running 17.9.3 (with AP SP to patch Windows behavior turning from OKC to SKC) and APs from model 4800
  6. Have you tried another router or AP? They are working fine when using WPA2-Ent. I will test this with other AP vendor next week
  7. Does the same issue happen in another network? This is the only network where users are connecting using any WPA3 variant
  8. Have you tried using the latest wireless driver from Intel? Not yet, will test next week

I will share the outputs from SSU on a DM.

Regards.

Jesus

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

@Jocelyn_Intel please let me ask you if I must open a new thread to discuss the issue as it seems to be related to a ping-pong effect with Intel AX200 and nothing to do with WPA2 or WPA3.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JPavonM  

Thank you for the information provided.  

Regarding your question, since it's not related to this issue, please create a new post so we can provide personalized assistance regarding that issue specifically. 

Try the latest wireless driver and let us know the results. You can also try a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers as well. 

If the issue persists, provide us with a new/updated Intel® SSU report to investigate further: 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JPavonM  

We hope you are great. 

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JPavonM  

We have not heard back from you, so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JPavonM  

We hope you are great. 

As a last recommendation, since WPA3 is managed by the OS, we recommend you to check this issue with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos