Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7449 Discussions

Intel AX210NGW Hotspot Linux Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS

Vu2
Beginner

Hi. I need help about creating Hotspot with this wifi module (Intel AX210NGW). Currently, I use Network Manager to create Hotspot by command lines as below:

nmcli device wifi hotspot con-name $SSID ssid $SSID password $PASSWORD

I see it can create Hotspot with SSID and Password. However, to IOS and Android 13, it works. And to Android 14, it's not worked.

Please let me know this wifi module whether supports Hotspot for IOS and Android with all version.

If it can, please let me know the way to configure that.

Here is my wifi information.

sudo lshw -C network

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0001:01:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 1a
serial: 30:05:05:91:fa:05
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.10.104-tegra firmware=59.601f3a66.0 ty-a0-gf-a0-59.uc latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:55 memory:20a8000000-20a8003fff

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

In order to help you may I please the model of your system? You may also share with us your SSU logs so we can be more familiar with your configuration. You may download it at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Vu2
Beginner

Hi @RamyerM_Intel 

I'm sorry for being late. Here is my logs.

Please let me know if you need more information for resolving my issue. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

Thank you for sending us the logs. We will be coordinating this with our team for now. I will make sure to keep this thread posted for updates. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Vu2
Beginner

Hi @RamyerM_Intel 

Is there any update on your site? 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. I would like to apologize if it took us sometime. Upon coordinating with our team, we highly recommend updating to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and install the latest (and stable) version of the mainline kernel, 6.8, from kernel.org, which includes the latest wireless firmware for the Intel AX210 which is version 86.

Let us know if this works. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Vu2
Beginner

Hi @RamyerM_Intel 

I can not update the new os version as 22.04 LTS. Because I have lot of projects that are running on 20.04. And maybe, we need to get many issues when updating to 22.04 with lots of packages that are updated on 22.04. 

May I use the latest wireless firmware of 22.04 LTS on 20.04 version? It could be helpful for me. Let me know if I can do that. 

And give me about procedures to update the latest wireless firmware on 20.04.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

Thank you for responding back to us. I want to let you know that the latest Ubuntu 23.10 or 22.04 LTS will include the wireless firmware. Since you are using using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, kernel 5.10, version 59 and mention you are unable to update the new OS version as 22.04 LTS, we still recommend to install the latest (and stable) version of the mainline kernel 6.8, from kernel.org, which includes the latest wireless firmware for the Intel AX210, version 86.

Let us know if this works for you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Vu2
Beginner

Hi @RamyerM_Intel 

Thank you for your response. Currently, I use Jetson Orin Nano devkit with this Wifi Module (Intel AX210). And I see Nvidia have just only supported to kernel 5.15 with the latest Jetpack 6.0, L4T 36.2, Ubuntu 22.04. So whether the kernel v6.8.2 is supported on this platform.

Moreover, Can you help me the way to wrap the wireless firmware from kernel (6.8.2 if it can/ 5.15) to kernel 5.10 without re-flashing my device?

Because I'm not good at this and I see there are lots of files relating to Wireless and I do not know whether the way to wrap and update it to my device is correct or not. I appreciate it when you help me this. 

Thank a lot.

Vu

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

I hope you are doing well. About the kernel v6.8.2 supporting NVIDI, I want to let you know that we can not comment on 3rd party support compatibility, it is best to confirm this information with NVIDIA. You may reach out to them at this link: NVIDIA Support 

About your question in wrapping the wireless firmware from kernel (6.8.2 if it can/ 5.15) to kernel 5.10, I want to let you know that Intel wireless firmware/driver has a Linux kernel version dependency. This is the reason why we highly recommend to install the latest (and stable) version of the mainline kernel, 6.8, from kernel.org, which includes the latest wireless firmware for the Intel AX210, version 86. Without the kernel update, it may not work or even cause additional issues. I hope I was able to clarify this for you. Feel free to ask if you have further questions and we will answer them for you. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

I am just following up if you were able to reach NVIDIA regarding the compatibility of the kernel v6.8.2. 

Were you also able to install the latest version of mainline kernel 6.8? What were the results? I will be waiting for your reply

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Vu2, 

I hope you have successfully contacted NVIDIA Support  regarding the compatibility of your Jetson Orin Nano devkit with kernel v6.8.2. In case you encounter any issues with the installation of Linux firmware in your Jetson Orin Nano device, feel free to reach out to them as well. For now, as we have not heard a response in the past few days, we will proceed in closing this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos