Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 showing 2 (two) 5GHz versions of the same SSID

StPete
Beginner

Have a desktop Windows 10 Pro v21H1 (most recent updates from MS - Nov 2021) with integrated Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. Run both a 2.4GHz and 5GHz instance on Netgear wireless router. Desktop uses 5GHz network instance with hidden SSID. Name created on Netgear router for 5GHz network is 'Net5G'.

Also have Intel Driver and Support Assistant (DSA) installed (thinking 2 years now). Intel DSA notifies me that new updates are available in first week of Nov 2021. Nothing new here has done this before in 2021 & 2020 - download and install updates  - no issues.

Clicked on the update notification and new graphics, wireless, and Bluetooth drivers installed. Rebooted - no issues - or so it seemed. A few days later, after starting system, system fails to connect to wireless router, but then connects within 20 seconds.

Didn't think much of it at that time. Happens again but no connection recovery. Look at wireless settings and see that there are now 2 instances of my 5GHz network showing in my Network and Internet settings window - e.g., SSID's 'Net5G' and 'Net5G 2'. 

Delete (use network settings and 'forget') 'Net5G 2'. Both 'Net5G' and 'Net5G 2' dissappear. Add 5GHz wireless network SSID 'Net5G' back using Windows - Settings - Network and Internet Setting control panel. Wireless network added and connected to. Look at network settings and ther are again a 'Net5G' and a 'Net5G 2' showing. 

Never have had this using this desktop. Only occurred after going through the Intel DSA driver update. Driver info is: 
Intel
Version
Date
8/9/2021

Believe the issue is with this Intel driver 19.51.38.2 for the Dual Dand Wireless-AC 7265.

Can someone help with this or get this issue reported to Support so it can be resolved?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello  StPete

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Please share with us the following information:

• Do you get any Bluetooth issues?
  • When did it start to happen?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  • Is this a new computer? If so, have check with your system's OEM for validated drivers or support on known issues related to the symptoms experienced?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  • Are there other devices that see both networks?
  • Were you able to have you wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?
  • Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?
  • Have tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?
  • Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?
  • Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
StPete
Beginner

Hello, 

I sent a comprehensive reply to your reply, yesterday, Nov 17 2021. I do not see it listed here. 

When typing in the reply box and finished there is no 'submit' button to post the reply.

At the bottom of the page is a message saying your content was auto-saved. I can select preview and it shows what I typed and at this point I go back to reply and select that and nothing else happens. So I'm left assuming the reply was successfully entered.

Pepper

0 Kudos
StPete
Beginner

Hello David. 

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. Answers to your questions are below.

Have to say that that I thought my original post provided the answers you are asking. But perhaps I wasn't clear.

In summary I have had this system (an All-In-One desktop) going on 5+ years. Because it is an All-In-One there is NO new hardware. I've had Windows 10 Pro running without issues. And the integrated Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 has been operating without issues, until this latest Intel wireless update.

• Do you get any Bluetooth issues? No
  • When did it start to happen?     After latest Intel wireless driver update, which occurred at the beginning of Nov 2021. The Intel drive update notification occurred via Intel's Driver and Support Assistant app which is installed on the system. Once receiving the notification from DSA that new driver updates were available for wireless, bluetooth, and graphics, I clicked on the update and updates were downloaded and then I clicked on install 'all' and all updates were applied, and the system rebooted to complete installation.
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?      Issue occurred after the Intel update. No updates to Windows had occurred after the Intel update.
  • Is this a new computer? If so, have check with your system's OEM for validated drivers or support on known issues related to the symptoms experienced?      No.  See answer above.
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?    See answer above.
  • Are there other devices that see both networks?   Question: Are you referring to both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks? If so - yes other devices see both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network instances. If no - and you are referring to devices seeing both the 'Net5G' and the' Net5G 2' instances of the 5GHz network - then NO - only this All-In-One has these 2 instances available for connection.
  • Were you able to have you wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?    Yes, prior to the Intel November update the desktop has had no wireless connection issues.
  • Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?     Not sure what this question is asking based on previous posting. If you are referring to the desktop (All-In-One) the answer is NO. If you are referring to any device in the home network, e.g., routers, extenders, mesh routers, PC with hubs, or smart devices, the answer is still NO.
  • Have tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?       No - previous version is gone after the update.
  • Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?    Yes - I rebooted the router. But before I did, I logged onto the router to see if the network SSID 'Net5G 2' existed. It did not. After reboot, re-checked the router and the router was, as always, a single 2.4GHz instance and a single 5GHz instance. In addition, this Netgear router has been operating for as long as this desktop with no issues.
  • Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 
    • Intel Scan.jpg 

0 Kudos
StPete
Beginner

Found the auto save load and resubmitted and it appears to have taken this time. 

Glad that the auto save feature works - that was lengthy reply.

Regards,

Pepper

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello StPete

Thank you for all the details, to investigate this we need the SSU results. You need to follow these steps to get the SSU text file that you can post on this thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
StPete
Beginner

Hi David,

Here is the SSU scan data. Wonder why it does not show 2.4GHz network?? And only the one 5GHz network? So, also included a screen shot of Network and Internet Settings.

Regards,

Pepper

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @StPete

Let me investigate this and I will get back to you.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @StPete

Please try the following:

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
StPete
Beginner

Hello David,

I did upgrade the BIOS. Followed all the other suggestions. The system was correctly set to the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity" posted above, so no changes there.

The issue still exists, though I have not had the connection drop outs I had previously when I first opened this post. But, those connection drop outs went away during the 1st post when I tried deleting the 5G 2 network instance.

In summary, followed recommendations, the 5G and 5G 2 instances still exist. When in Windows - Network and Internet - settings, deleting (forgetting) 5G 2 network causes the loss of the 5G network also. Adding the hidden network 5G back in causes the appearance of the 5G 2 network. Without doing anything else, the desktop will always default and connect to the 5G 2 instance.

I can go to the Network status, select the 5G network and then select Connect Automatically and the wireless connection will switch to the 5G network. The 5G 2 network still shows and I can then select it and deselect the Connect Automatically setting. At this point when the system is restarted the 5G network is connected, though the 5G 2 network is still showing.

These two instances of the 5GHz network only showed up after the last Intel wireless driver update. Therefore I still conclude there is an issue with Intel's latest driver update for the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265  Driver Version:"10.0.19041.1"

Thanks for your help,

Pepper

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thanks for the details @StPete. I'm still investigating this, I will get back to you with more information.

Regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Upon further investigation, this appears to be an incompatibility on your network. If an older driver was working (maybe an OEM driver), you can clean install and go back to it. OEM drivers include customizations provided by system manufacturers, and Intel drivers do not, so they are considered generic. Intel DSA scans and downloads generic drivers only. 

You should check this directly with Microsoft and also, the best advice is to check again with the ISP or the manufacturer of the router as the problem seems to be related to your router settings.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
StPete
Beginner

Well David, this is a totally disappointing response.

Your analysis is completely flawed and you are looking to place blame where it does not belong. This is quite simply a cop out on your part or Intel.

You were given information that the system has been operating on Intel's drivers for some time, as installed by Intel's own Driver and Support Assistant for 2+ years. There is no OEM driver as you try to blame.

You did not answer the question as to why the scan did not show the 2.4GHz network. 

I sincerely hope you place a better effort in the future support of other customers experiencing Intel related issues.

With all sincerity,

Pepper

0 Kudos