Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7542 Discussions

Intel My WiFi and 5100 AGN: problem with 802.11n clients

idata
Employee

I use Intel My WiFi software on my laptop with an Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN wireless adapter to create a virtual hotspot. When an 802.11g device connects to it, everything is fine. But when a client device uses 802.11n, everything is fine until some traffic-intense activity (e.g. a file transfer or a Web browsing session) is attempted by the client. At this point an 80% or so packet loss begins and remains until I disconnect and reconnect the client device. After this the pattern repeats.

The problem affects another laptop (with an Atheros AR9285 adapter) and an HTC Desire smart phone. When I start a virtual hotspot (using "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" command line) on the other laptop, and connect the first one (with the 5100 AGN) to it as a client, they work fine in 802.11n mode (at 65 Mbps). But I need the one with the Intel adapter to be the hotspot, and even if I use the command line instead of Intel My WiFi on it, the problem remains.

It seems that the 5100 AGN adapter cannot properly operate as a virtual access point in 802.11n mode. I've updated the driver to to the latest one (13.5.0, 03/04/2011), but it didn't help. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Is there any way to solve this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

I have exactly same problem. In my case it is 5100 AGN + broadcom 802.11n adapter (another notebook). It connects just fine, but when I start to copy file via network packet loss becomes 100% and it stops working at all. Windows 7 x64 both ends, latest drivers both ends. I have another important addition. When I reconnect broadcomm adapter, it does not help to restore connection. I have to reset it (broadcomm). Then it connects fine again (one single time). If I reconnect intel adapter - this does not help.

Can you open an issue for this to be fixed? Two cases makes an issue, right?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I submitted a support request at http://supportmail.intel.com/ http://supportmail.intel.com/ on July 8. The next day I got the following email:

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Please note that we are researching your inquiry and will get back to you as soon as we have additional information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I haven't heard from them ever since. Maybe you shoud submit your own request, so that they know it's not a one-off issue.

P.S. I use an Ad Hoc network as a workaround, but at the sacrifice of speed (an ad hoc connection runs 11g, at least in my case).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I updated the driver to version 14.2.0.10 today, but the problem still persists. The technical support hasn't replied anything helpful yet.

0 Kudos