Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7489 Discussions

Intel WiFi 6 AX200 160mhz connection issue

coxca2113
Novice

Have noticed when I change router channel width to 160mhz wifi switches from 5G network to 2.4G tried changing preferred channel to 5Ghz in device manager but that doesn't seem to have an effect. However if I change the channel width to the 80mhz width it connects to 5G no problem even with no preference set. Curious if anyone has had a similar issue and what the cause might be and some possible fixes? Have driver version 22.200.2.1

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113 . 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Is the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200  the pre-installed wi-fi card in your motherboard/laptop or is it an integration (upgrade/ not the original card in the computer)? 
  2. Is it a Desktop or a laptop? What is the model of your laptop or motherboard (whichever applies)? 
  3. How are you checking the bandwidth? Could please send us screenshots showing this issue from the program/tool/platform you are seeing it? 
  4. What is the model of your Router? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
coxca2113
Novice

It is desktop Wifi came with motherboard it is a ASUS X570 Crosshair hero VIII (Wi-Fi) running a Ryzen 9 5900X. Router is tp-link Archer AX73 (AX5400) WIFI 6 Checking bandwith 3 different ways using a WIFI analyzer, the modem settings through the router login through IP address/tp tether app which is basically the mobile app for accessing router settings, and running a speed test through speedtest.net. Have 1gbps fiber and whenever the router 5G channel width is changed to 160mhz wifi analyzer shows it switch to connected to 2.4G as well as router showing it in connected clients on 2.4G and speedtest drops from around around 600-700mbps to around 50. Changing the intel wifi to prefer 5G has no effect and this is instantly remedied by switching channel width to 80mhz. Including screenshots of router settings with Wifi analyzer and router showing 2.4G as well as the difference when all that is changed is 160mhz changed to 80mhz, as well as device manager showing preference for 5G band 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113 . 

Thank you for the information provided. 

1. Make sure your router's firmware is up to date, and choose correctly your hardware version. This is an important process, contact your Router Manufacturer if you need assistance doing this step. 
  2. Perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, using the latest wireless driverNote: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation. Also, make sure to do this step disconnected from the internet (wi-fi or wired connection) since Microsoft updates drivers automatically and prevents doing the clean installation successfully.   

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113  

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
coxca2113
Novice

Tried fresh install of drivers and issue persists. There's no problem if I change preferred band to 5Ghz in device manager settings but as soon as I change router channel to 20/40/80/160mhz option it disconnects and switches to 2.4Ghz

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113 . 

Thank you for the information provided. 

1. Have you updated your router's firmware? Choose correctly your hardware version. This is an important step to do. 
  2. Have you tried to perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, using the latest OEM Wi-Fi driver? Make sure to select your OS. 

Note: We recommend checking with your System Manufacturer and using the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
coxca2113
Novice

Yes did both of these have most recent router firmware and also did a clean install of Wifi drivers and tested again, same results.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113 . 

Just to confirm, did you perform the Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, using the latest System Manufacturer's wi-fi driver too? 

If you did, please run this utility and provide us with the report: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113  

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
coxca2113
Novice

Yes re-done all drivers, attached SSU text file.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113 . 

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will investigate this issue, as soon as I have updates, I will post them here. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113 . 

Thank you for your time. 

Does this issue happen with another router or Access Point(AP)? Is it possible for you to try another router? 

Have you ever been able to connect as expected without issues before?  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
ibrokemypie
Beginner
I am having the exact same problem with my intel ax211 160mhz not working when my router is configured to use 160mhz.

every other device on my network works fine without issue, its only this intel chip that wont receive an ip configuration if the channel width is set to 160mhz. trying to set a static ip also fails with the message "cant save ip settings"

changing the channel width to anything but 160mhz makes the wifi chip work, but that is not a solution.

i have tried clean installing the latest drivers from 1. the motherboard manufacturer (asrock), 2. windows update and 3. intel itself and none of these drivers have resolved the issue.

i have narrowed down the problem further to using channel 36 (50), which is the only 160mhz channel available in australia. if i set my router to ignore the restrictions to use channel 114 instead the wifi adaptor seems to connect okay, but this is not a solution either as it is highly illegal.

i do not have another router to test with, but considering every other device on my network works as expected it is clearly the wifi adaptor at fault.

the issue persists even with the computer right next to the router with nothing between them.

this is all on windows 10 ltsc.

hopefully this is enough information for you to track down and resolve the issue promptly with a new firmware update.
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @coxca2113  

As a final recommendation, we recommend you to update your BIOS to the latest version. If you need help with this step, contact your System Manufacturer to do this process. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ibrokemypie  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your Wi-Fi card.  

Please submit a new thread describing your issue with your System specifications as they are different from this thread so we can give more personalized assistance. 

Have a nice day. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos