Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Restricted wireless speed after update.

MBabk
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 5770 I purchased last year. After an update the wireless connection would not go over 10 meg. Dell support had me go through the wireless settings, change drivers and what ever else, they managed to get the speed back up to normal. It seems after the latest wireless update I have the same problem. Of course being out of warranty now they will be charging me for support if I want it. I tried to run troubleshooters, I performed a clean install but the speed is still restricted. I have a Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 modem. Is there a way I can figure out why the speed dropped again after the latest update?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MBabk,

Thank you for your response. 

It seems that you are using the latest generic driver 19.51.23.1 (21.30.3 package ) for your Intel® Wireless Adapter available at the Download Center.

Intel recommends installing Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers as our drivers are used for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the driver software or software packaging to increase functionality.

Recommendations:

A. Roll back the driver:

1. Go to Start menu > Device Manager and Expand Network Adapters.

2. Right-click the network adapter, and then select Properties.

3. In Properties, select the Driver tab > Roll Back Driver, and then follow the steps.

Note: If the Roll Back Driver appears dimmed, that means there's no driver to roll back to.

B. If the issue persists after rolling back the driver, then try a clean installation of the latest OEM drivers customized for your system (both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi).

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

C. Make sure you are running Windows* 10 April 2018 Update, Windows* 10 October 2018 Update, or Windows* 10 May 2019 Update.

D. Make sure your Wi-Fi AP (i.e. wireless router) and your client (i.e. device, like a laptop) are using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration. Try using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MBabk,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

Speed or maximum data rate is affected by various factors including distance, obstacles, OS configuration, wireless router, etc. To better assist you, we would like to have the following information:

A. What is the driver version that causes this behavior? Is this a driver provided by your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or a generic driver available at the Download Center?

3. In Properties, select the Driver tab, and document the driver version.

B. What is the speed/performance you are trying to achieve?

C. In addition, we would like to have more information to better assist you such as the OS version, BIOS version, etc. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link.

2. Open the application and click "Scan" to see system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
MBabk
Beginner
Thank you for your reply, the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5770, the driver is 19.51.23.1 it has windows 10 home version. My internet speed is 25 meg and the laptop will not go over 10meg. At the same time I tested an ipad and a Blackberry and they were both in the 26 meg range. I had this problem before when an update slowed me right down and a Dell tech was able to get my speed back up to normal. It was fine for a year or so and I just noticed after an update that it dropped again. Thank you
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MBabk,

Thank you for your response. 

It seems that you are using the latest generic driver 19.51.23.1 (21.30.3 package ) for your Intel® Wireless Adapter available at the Download Center.

Intel recommends installing Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers as our drivers are used for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the driver software or software packaging to increase functionality.

Recommendations:

A. Roll back the driver:

3. In Properties, select the Driver tab > Roll Back Driver, and then follow the steps.

Note: If the Roll Back Driver appears dimmed, that means there's no driver to roll back to.

B. If the issue persists after rolling back the driver, then try a clean installation of the latest OEM drivers customized for your system (both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi).

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

C. Make sure you are running Windows* 10 April 2018 Update, Windows* 10 October 2018 Update, or Windows* 10 May 2019 Update.

D. Make sure your Wi-Fi AP (i.e. wireless router) and your client (i.e. device, like a laptop) are using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration. Try using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
MBabk
Beginner
Good morning WannerG, After doing a clean install of the drivers you pointed me to my speed is back up to normal. Thank you very much for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated. Mike
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MBabk,

We are glad to hear that the problem was fixed. 

We will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos