Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7451 Discussions

Slow download speed 1675

CogitoErgoBibo

My internet service provides 1.2 Gbps

I have a 2.5 Gb modem going into a hardware firewall with a pair of 10 Gb NICs.

This LAN side has a 2.5 Gb managed switch.

On a computer with a 10Gb NIC I get about 1150 Mbps download, give or take 50 Mbps tested throughout the day.

However, devices connected to my RAXE 300 via Wi-Fi max out at 650 Mbs despite having a true Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E 2.5 Gbps NIC. 

I've seen websites that show around 1125 Mbps download speeds with the RAXE 300... why am I seeing such a slow speed?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CogitoErgoBibo,

Thank you for posting in our communities. 

To help me further identify the problem and offer you a solution, kindly provide the following details: 

• When did the issue start? Does the RAXE 300 have a fast speed, or is it reaching the appropriate speed? This is to check if you might have made any changes to the system that caused the issue.
  • Please generate an SSU report to help me further analyse important details on your system, such as the OS build number, graphics driver version, errors logged in the system, etc. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article How to Get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

I look forward to your response! 

Thank you, and have a great day ahead! 

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CogitoErgoBibo

My router is an RAXE 300... it's a 2.5 Gpbs router.  When I look at the link speed on the wifi advanced settings page (windows 11 settings) I see it is 2.5 Gbps.

The speed stays between 650 and 750 Mbps. 

I attached the system scan file for you.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CogitoErgoBibo,

Thank you so much for the response.

Upon checking the Raxe 300 specifications, the speed is up to 7.8 GB/s; however, on our end, we can only reach 650 and 750 Mbps.

In regards to that, please try the following troubleshooting steps on the link below for a possible solution :

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
CogitoErgoBibo

Hello,

Thank you for the information.  I do have a second router that is hosting connections at 5 and 2.4 Ghz.  The RAXE 300 is hosting 6Ghz connections and my laptop is connected on that frequency.  I used a scanner app like you suggested and my router is the only 6Ghz router detected.  Is interference still a concern given that?

What about adapter specific settings?

When I look at Windows 11 Settings->Network & Internet->Advanced Network Settings I can see the "Link speed".  It varies between 2.4Gbps and 1.1 Gbps, but doesn't go below 1.1Gbps.  I'm think the variance comes from the max speed which is 2.4Gbps and the actual speed from my ISP which is 1.2Gbps.

Do you know how that link speed is determined?

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CogitoErgoBibo,

If your system is connected to the RAXE 300, which is hosting 6 GHz, then your second router wouldn't interfere, as the only router that your system detected was the RAXE 300.

And for the link speed, please check out this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058908/ethernet-products/intel-killer-ethernet-products.html.

Furthermore, if you have tried all the troubleshooting steps that we have provided and the issue still persists, we recommend that you also contact your system manufacturer, which is DELL, as they might have altered some of the features of your system.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
CogitoErgoBibo

Hello,

I used an ethernet cable from my laptop to the switch that is connected to the router.  The link speed showed 2.5 Gbps and when I ran a speed test, I saw around 1050-1100 Mbps which matches my ISP provided speed.

I disabled the ethernet connection and reconnected via wifi and I watched the link speed for a few minutes.  I noticed that it changes over the course of a few minutes... I saw values ranging from 964 Mbps to 2.4 Gbps.  What does that indicate?

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CogitoErgoBibo,

To further isolate the issue please provide the following details:

• You mentioned that you are using a switch; may I know the brand and model of your switch just to check its specifications?
  • What is your cable? If possible, please try a CAT6 and check if the internet performance will improve.
  • Have you tried other devices on your router using the LAN cable? Does the issue also occur with those other devices?

Furthermore, we highly recommend that you contact Netgear support and Dell technical support for further assistance.

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
CogitoErgoBibo

The switch is a TRENDnet 10-Port Multi-Gig Web Smart Switch, 8 x 2.5GBASE-T Ports,

I'm not sure why you are asking about the cable... I wrote in my post "The link speed showed 2.5 Gbps and when I ran a speed test, I saw around 1050-1100 Mbps which matches my ISP provided speed."  So, with the cable, I got the expected speed of near 1.2 Gbps.

Also, I wrote " I watched the link speed for a few minutes.  I noticed that it changes over the course of a few minutes... I saw values ranging from 964 Mbps to 2.4 Gbps.  What does that indicate?"

What does the fact that the link speed on the wifi connection keeps changing tell you? 

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CogitoErgoBibo,

We apologize for any confusion. Let's go back to our issue since you have already tried all the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article: Quick Checks to Improve or Fix Wi-Fi Connection Issues and the issue still persists, we recommend that you contact your system manufacturer, which is Dell technical support, since this might already be a hardware issue. 

Best regards, 
Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CogitoErgoBibo

Hello,

I tried using a Netgear 6E USB NIC and the speed problem persists.  I'll contact Netgear since that makes it likely a router issue.  

Thank you for your help.

Take care,

Scott

ACarmona_Intel

Hello CogitoErgoBibo,

Thank you so much for the response, and we sincerely hope Netgear will provide you with the answer you need.

If you need additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos