Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Warnings in Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a system in which I am attempting to run program code from sdram on a DE2 board. I get the following warnings after quartus compilation. 

Warning: Output pins are stuck at VCC or GND 

Warning (13410): Pin "SDRAM_cke" is stuck at VCC 

The pin SDRAM_cke is connected directly to the corresponding output from the SOPC system. 

Also, I am getting these warnings... 

Warning: Ignoring invalid fast I/O register assignments. See the Ignored Assignments panel in the Fitter Compilation Report for more information. 

Warning: Found invalid Fitter assignments. See the Ignored Assignments panel in the Fitter Compilation Report for more information. 

Warning: Found pins functioning as undefined clocks and/or memory enables 

Warning: Found invalid timing assignments -- see Ignored Timing Assignments report for details 

When I check the the ignored assignments I see the following: 

Fast Input Register sdram za_data[0] ON Compiler or HDL Assignment 

There is an entry for each data bit on the sdram. When I check the ignored timing assignments I see this entry... 

Cut Timing Path On * data_in_d1 first_nios2_system_reset_clk_0_domain_synch_module No timing path applicable to specified source and destination 

When I try to run code I get the infamous verify failed message from the memory of my sdram. I have a PLL connected to the sdram clock pin with a -3ns phase shift. I am using the "e" version of the Nios 2 cpu. I have been struggling with this issue for some time. Any help would be appreciated 

Chase
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You read the warning : 

"Warning: Output pins are stuck at VCC or GND 

Warning (13410): Pin "SDRAM_cke" is stuck at VCC" 

Maybe this is exactly what you want. Did you put the SDRAM_cke signal stuck to '1' in order to permanently enable the SDRAM? 

If so this is a warning that you can ignore. 

Sorry but I cannot help for the rest.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well if this is indeed what I want (not entirely sure because I don't have much experience with using SDRAM) then I did not set it this way explicitly. ALso, the warning came into my system after I added the SDRAM. When I first added the component, this warning was not there. It only came several compilations and changes later. 

Thank you for your input. I can't see any direct consequences of any of these warnings.... I am basically looking for the reason why my code always fails when run from SDRAM.... The infamous verify failed message is killing me...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well if this is indeed what I want (not entirely sure because I don't have much experience with using SDRAM) then I did not set it this way explicitly. ALso, the warning came into my system after I added the SDRAM. When I first added the component, this warning was not there. It only came several compilations and changes later. 

Thank you for your input. I can't see any direct consequences of any of these warnings.... I am basically looking for the reason why my code always fails when run from SDRAM.... The infamous verify failed message is killing me... 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

some explanations about the other warnings: 

warning: ignoring invalid fast i/o register assignments. see the ignored assignments panel in the fitter compilation report for more information. 

The assignment should force the Fitter to place the input FF in a FPGA I/O cells. The warning means that the FF could not implement in the I/O cell. Maybe it is worth to  

look for the reason.  

warning: found pins functioning as undefined clocks and/or memory enables 

Quartus found some signals which are used as Clock or Enable, but are not expressly defined as such. 

cut timing path on * data_in_d1 first_nios2_system_reset_clk_0_domain_synch_module no timing path applicable to specified source and destination 

This simply means that Quartus could not find a path. Check path name . 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos