Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Getting floating license

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Assuming one starts two compilations at same time where only one floating license is available. Does the Quartus II wait one process until the license becomes available, or just end with license error? 

Regards,
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no, quartus and others will report that the requestes licence is not available and stop. 

sorry but i am not aware of something like a commandline option or anything else that tells quartus and other tools to wait for a licence.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello MSchmitt, 

Thank you so much for your answer. I will check the documents if the option is available. 

Regards!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Usually it stops, but if it can't get the license at one specific moment (synthesis I think) it will continue but generate a time limited .sof file, with a simple warning buried somewhere in the console messages. It happened to me a few times and it can get very frustrating because you don't realise immediately that the .sof file hasn't been updated, and you are still trying to download the old one.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Daixiwen, 

Thank you for your answer. It seems to need improvement!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think that the obvious solution recommended by Altera is to buy more licenses ;)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

oh YES Daixiwen ! 

This behavioral (TRAP :mad: ) will exist forever and be a pain like the A20 gate ... today, tomorrow and the day after ... :(  

(and it happens not only by the altera newbies) ;)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

and the only force we users (customers) have is to drop a licence. 

they get the money we get the bugs (Q 10.0)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In recent versions of Quartus, there is a checkbox in the Tools->License gui that will make the tool wait for floating licenses, so the tool will pause the compile and poll the license server until a license is acquired and continue rather than generating time-limited sofs

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In recent versions of Quartus, there is a checkbox in the Tools->License gui that will make the tool wait for floating licenses, so the tool will pause the compile and poll the license server until a license is acquired and continue rather than generating time-limited sofs 

--- Quote End ---  

surprised it took so many posts for this tip :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:p i'm always learning something ;)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It wasn't there last time I checked, but I have to admit is was a long time ago ;) 

Now the question is why is this optional, and not enabled by default?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it seems that you are not the only one last time checked this page :rolleyes: , maybe even those altera people who deceide what is default too ;) ... or why do you think they didn't made it default ? :D

0 Kudos