Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16624 Discussions

simulate EP2C35 development board but encouter fatal errors.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

i use quartus ii 7.0 web edition + modelsim 6.1d to compile and simulate the ep2c35 development board which is within the quartus ii 7.0 software. 

i have no problem in complie process. 

however i got fatal error when i simulate in modelsim 6.1d 

just like below: 

run 500 

# ** Error: function From_Hex: string "-- 

# Time: 0 ns Iteration: 0 Instance: /test_bench/the_ext_ssram/ext_ssram_lane3 

# ** Fatal: (vsim-3471) Slice range (35 downto 32) does not belong to the prefix index range (11 downto 0). 

# Time: 0 ns Iteration: 0 Process: /test_bench/the_ext_ssram/ext_ssram_lane3/line__12001 File: D:/altera/projects/work/std_2C35.vhd 

# Fatal error at D:/altera/projects/work/std_2C35.vhd line 11977 

i guess,,that would be sth wrong with the ssram 

but i can not find the point,,i m a new leaner. 

could u help me to shoot this problem. 

tks very much.!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ModelSim works somewhat different than a HDL compiler, it's processing part of the code at runtime. Some errors, particularly range errors with indexes or overflow of variables is causing a runtime error. It's not certainly a real eror, some overflows are causing normal behaviour in RTL, only needing special handling with ModelSim. In your case, it looks like a real coding error, but this can't be seen without looking into the code, at the error location said in the message. 

I didn't exactly understand about the design. Is it an example design shipped with the board? Did you modify it?
0 Kudos