Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20716 Discussions

USB Blaster Rev C

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why can’t I use my USB Blaster Rev C anymore?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I heard that the cable may burn out if you unplug it from the PCs USB port while still connected to a powered board. Make sure you power down your board before removing the cable from your PC.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use the USB Blaster Rev B,and I write the CPLD code,it is very good!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I haven't had issues with Rev B either

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can also use EEBlaster (http://www.entner.biz/tl/index.php/eeblaster.html) which has beside much lower cost and other improvements a very reliable output-circuit. 

Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have same problem. The blue LED was not fully lighting. 

@tag818:  

unfortunately, when the pc goes to sleep or hibernate, the usb power supply is going done. 

And it is similar to unplug Usb port of Usbblaster when it is connected to a powered board. 

You say "the cable may burn out" : could you tell us which component may "usually" be burnt ? 

Altera recommends NOT to unplug , is there a more robust cable ? Or good design tips to avoid such a problem. 

(Sorry for my English because I am not a perfect English writer :-) )
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do you use windows as os ? 

when you connect your usb blaster to your pc and your target pcb, does the usb blaster get visible in the device manager (i guess thats the englisch name for it)  

we had lost a couple of usb blasters where the yellow flat cable was damaged and re replaced it with some nomarl ribbon ide cable and connectors
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have troubles with connector of the yellow flat cable which is malfunctioning after a hundred of plug/unplug operation (I work very much:-D) . I had to replace it with a normal ribbon cable.  

Yes, I use Windows XP on a labtop, and the USB Blaster is not recognized anymore = no appears in "device manager". 

I am looking for good design for Jtag and AS.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the USB Blaster is not recognized anymore = no appears in "device manager" 

--- Quote End ---  

A driver problem would be the most likely exlanation, in some rare cases, an USB Blaster lost it's identity (EEPROM data). I didn't yet hear of FT245 hardware defects, that would be the only explanation for complete enumeration failure. Do you see any unknown USB device in the device manager instead?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, thanks for answer. 

I don't have this USB blaster anymore. 2 years, 200 plug/unplug and 15000km of good and loyal work :-) 

I remember that the blue led was not lighting fully. 

I don't remember if Windows had recognized a known or unknown USB device. 

I don't remember neither if windows detected a USB device plugging. 

I found an other connector. I suppose it is for EEPROM but don't know how to reprogram and with which firmware ?.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

USB Blaster is NOT visible in device manager anymore. OS = Windows XP Pro 

I have also replace yellow flat cable with normal ribbon ide cable (+ connectors) on all my USB Blasters. 

I bought new USB Blaster
0 Kudos