Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

GPIB anyone?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Back in the old Microtronix 2.6.11 days we contracted with Frank Hess the maintainer of the Linux GPIB driver to help us get GPIB running on the NIOS platform. We purchased a License from Measurement Computing for their 

CB7210 IP and then modified it to work better in the nios architecture. 

Currently, I've been working with Franks latest GPIB distribution and have it working with the new nios linux distribution. If anyone is interested, I could update the wiki to describe how that all works. So the question is: Who cares :). Cheers Alex
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please add it to the wiki when you got some spare time. I believe someone will need it. Thanks. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok Hippo, I'll try to get it done next week. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi halfdome, 

I'm interested in GPIB in an FPGA. Can you upload what you have? 

Thanks 

Carl
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I just saw this. The GPIB interface is based on some IP we purchased from Measurement computing. It is based on the old 7210 GPIB controller chip. Our digital designer modified that IP to work with the Avalon bus and Frank put wrappers around the 7210 driver code to support the Hardware. We, Fluke, are not allowed to distribute the 7210 IP from Measurement computing. 

Obviously, the driver is available. The reason I have never uploaded the driver is because of the Measurement Computing hardware issue. Also I would need to figure out how (although that should be simple). If you are still interested I will work on it. Best, Alex
0 Kudos