oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1312 Discussions

Intel Parallel Studio XE installers crashes on Windows 10 22H2

ASTTools
Beginner

Running the installer of Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition 2019 Update 6 on Windows 10 22H2  crashes the installer.

Running the installer e.g. on Windows 10 21H2 we cannot reproduce this.

Did anyone else expirience something similar or might even have a solution for that?

Thx,

BR

Armin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Moving this post to the Forum that helps with installation issues.

0 Kudos
JWu
Novice

I have same issue when running the installer of Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 4 Cluster Edition on Windows 11 22H2.

The installer crashed at startup.

I was able to let it run by enabling the Compatibility mode for Windows 8.

The install process was able to complete BUT the integration with Visual Studio 2019 or 2017 did not work.

Still struggling to figure it out.

For legacy reason, I was not able to move to OneAPI version yet.

JWu
Novice

The error message in Event Viewer:

.NET Runtime
Application: install.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00000000

Application Error

Faulting application name: install.exe_Intel® Software Setup Assistant, version: 3.5.0.155, time stamp: 0x5f5a2735
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x0x6728
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9E7ECA91C57DC
Faulting application path: ...\Downloads\Intel\parallel_studio_xe_2020_update4_cluster_edition_setup\install.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 412d354f-af1f-471e-83a6-8e6329d51cb9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Kudos
JWu
Novice

More errors from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: MsiExec.exe, version: 5.0.22621.1, time stamp: 0xb3a42a22
Faulting module name: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll, version: 3.7.2174.19405, time stamp: 0x64a5bbfa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00014a02
Faulting process id: 0x0x65BC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9E7F1DE13BE9B
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\syswow64\MsiExec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll
Report Id: 73eeda8a-1db6-4ace-86e7-ef6952b4e16a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Kudos
ASTTools
Beginner

We are facing exatcly the same situation.

I also assumed the integration does not work due to the compatibility mode.

We also did tests and the installation still did work fine with Windows 10 21H2 but our most recent workstations are now running on 22 H2 and are facing this issue.

I will create an official support ticket but could not do so yet as we are at the moment without maintenance which hopefully changes soon

However, if anybody would have a different idea how to overcome that this of cours would be highly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Tyler5
Beginner

I also have this issue and can confirm compatibility mode does offer success, however I'm not confident that the installation in compatibility mode is 100% right as I have strange build errors. 

Would love to hear a non-compatibility mode fix that identifies the actual root cause.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TZeit
Beginner

Hello all,

This kind of installation issue shows up over and over again in multiple threads, and this thread got obviously close to the solution:

To my best knowledge, there are no installation issues of Parallel Studio XE related to later Windows versions, it also runs seamlessly on Windows 11. The problem described here origins from Visual Studio integration with later versions of Visual Studio. Microsoft's current Visual Studio setup handles all Visual Studio versions starting from 2017, it happily updates itself from the Internet, and installs (and occasionally updates) the file "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll" in folder "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86". The setup of Parallel Studio XE detects and tries to load this library when it starts up (required to configure Visual Studio integration) but crashes if the library is too new and thereby incompatible.

The simple solution is to replace this library with an older version included with Visual Studio (usually version 2.x dated around 2020) before running the Parallel Studio XE setup. The required file can be taken from the original setup of VS2017/2019, it is located in the folder "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration" in the installation archive "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.msi". The MSI file can be opened e.g. with 7-zip, and the contained "F_Setup_Configuration_Native_x86" can be extracted and renamed to "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll".

I am quite sure I may not provide these files here for download because they are part of Visual Studio (and thereby property of Microsoft and protected by their licensing and redistribution policies).

Running Parallel Studio XE setup in compatibility mode causes for some reason the Visual Studio integration to be entirely skipped, maybe the installed Visual Studio DLL is somehow hidden from the setup. I did not investigate that in detail but it of course works and results in successful installation, just without Visual Studio integration.

Cheerful installing,
Toni

0 Kudos