Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

sound card + uclinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a project with a sound card. We are using uclinux. 

We are developing a VHDL module for the sound card, what is the best way to interface the sound card module with the CPU , is DMA the best performant architecture ? 

Thanks 

Laurent
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by grassay@Mar 27 2006, 03:27 PM 

i am working on a project with a sound card. we are using uclinux. 

we are  developing a vhdl module for the sound card, what is the best way to interface the sound card module with the cpu , is dma the best performant architecture ? 

thanks 

laurent 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13824) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

You are right! DMA is best choice for this. Dma does&#39;t load CPU. It folllows CPU could have more time for other tasks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can&#39;t tell what you are actually doing, but if you want to get a soundcard working with uClinux, why not just use a PCI BUs? You can get an existing sound card driver, and modify it to work with uClinux... not sure what you are using VHDL for?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My sound card is a specific sound card without standard PC interface like PCI  

Laurent
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, what type of interface? If it&#39;s a standard asynchronous bus, you may be able to connect to it directly using Avalons Tri-state Bridge. Otherwise, you will need to write your own SOPC Component, and support as many or as little features as you like (ie: bursting, pipelining, DMA master etc..).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

we have control signals and directly PCMI/PCMO digital signals. These signals are synchronous with CLK and SYNC signals

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it an AC97 codec? If it&#39;s just PCM or AC97, you can probably get existing cores todo this for you. Check www.opencores.org

0 Kudos