Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Altera FPGAs in High Performance Computing(HPC) Applications

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to better understand the different methodologies on using Altera FPGAs as a coprocessor in HPC applications. 

Believe there there are four known methodologies. Familair with the first three.. 

1. Module plugs into processor socket connection-Intel FSB 

2. Module plugs into processor socket connection-AMD HyperTransport 

3. Module plugged via PCI express interface 

4. a. Module plugs into system memory DIMM socket 

b. Module plugs into a hard drive bay and connects to processor via DIMM socket 

Trying to get a better feel for Item-4. Wanted to know the pro's and con's of using FPGA on a memory DIMM socket? 

Does anybody know of any third party companies that use this approach and offer solutions in this space? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SRC Computers is the company I've heard of for# 4. They were started by Seymour Cray and do a number of different accelerator-type products. Also be sure to investigate the development side, i.e. hardware/software interaction. If you're ready to write HDL, it's usually not a big deal, but a lot of users investigating this area only write C for processors and want to "push a button" to create hardware from their C. 

www.srccomp.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For Solutions like# 1 and# 2 try XtremeData. They have some good engineers and are working on developing a more sophisticated toolchain compared to the RTL route. 

http://www.xtremedatainc.com/products.html 

Brian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I did look into Xtremedata products for# 1 and# 2. And for# 3 found GiDEL's solutions suitable www.gidel.com. They have have a tool that can map DSP Builder model based designs to Altera FPGA via PCI express interface(Hardware In the Loop Methodology). 

BTW: I am interested in seeing data throughput MB/s for two of Xtremedata's products 

1. 2S180 FPGA connected via Intel FSB to a Xeon processor(Xtremedata) 

FSB interface supports 1066MHz and 64 bits. FPGA I/O connected via FSB might have some speed limitations. What I am looking for the real data throughput that was achieved b/w a 2S180 and a Xeon processor(MB/s)? 

2. 2S180 FPGA connected via AMD HyperTransport to an Opteron Processor 

HyperTransport standard supports 3.2GB/sec(1.6 each way). Again the data I am looking for is the actual throughput between a 2S180 and an Opteron processor. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos