Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Only a BSP-File in NiosII-Eclipse

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

Im just starting to work on FPGA Programming and I am stuck, writing the software with NiosII 10.1-Eclipse.  

I'musing a Altera Cyclone III Evaluation board and I already built up a small system in Quartus II 10.0sp1 Web Edition according to a tutorial from Altera (includes the NiosII, on chip memory, system Timer, JTAG-UART, O/I Ports, sysid). The compilation and everything is successfull and I get the .sopcinfo File. 

If I now want to create a new Project with NiosII 10.1-Eclipse, I go to "New" - "Application and BSP from Template". I load the .sopcinfo File and create the "Hello World Small" Template. 

The problem is, I only get a BSP Folder in my Project Explorer, not containing any C-File from the Template. I guesse, there should be an "Application Folder" aswell in addition to the BSP Folder in the Project Explorer, because in the directory in Windows Explorer, I have 2 Folders saying "Hello_World_small" and "Hello_World_small_bsp". 

I already tried to simply add a new application refering to the created bsp, but when build the Project I get an error, telling "reference 'main' not found" 

Does anyone know what to do?? I work on Windows 7, does it have to do something with the system variables so a create-script won't be executed? 

Thanks for the help in advance! 

Greeting
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Found the solution...thank you windows 7 for stealing my time! 

Just need to start Nios with admin privileges.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Found the solution...thank you windows 7 for stealing my time! 

Just need to start Nios with admin privileges. 

--- Quote End ---  

You should thank Altera instead. The Altera installer does not set the correct permissions on all of the required executables. You could theoretically change the permissions yourself, but it is easier top just run as administrator. 

On a positive note, I have not yet run into this same problem with 10.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

On a positive note, I have not yet run into this same problem with 10.1. 

--- Quote End ---  

He did!  

--- Quote Start ---  

Im just starting to work on FPGA Programming and I am stuck, writing the software with NiosII 10.1-Eclipse. 

--- Quote End ---  

:) 

Bill
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Very thanks for the info...i was stuck for 2 days.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have admin privileges, but this problem still persists... 

I'm working with Windows Vista and Quartus 10.1. 

Could someone help me?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've just figured out the solution... It works for Vista too.

0 Kudos