Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Avalon to AMBA Bus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Can anyone please help me to move from Avalon to AMBA Bus in a Cortex based system developed using SOPC builder.  

Is there any Avalon to AHB bridge available along with SOPC builder ? If yes, please give the version of that Quartus tool.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, if I am going for AHB master/slave I need to remove the existing Avalon bus in the system . I shall try for this. But another question is that is there any bridge to move from Avalon to AMBA ( like an easy way) ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have never used these before but here is a master and slave bridge pair: 

http://www.altera.com/products/ip/iup/peripherals/m-eur-ahb-bus-master.html 

http://www.altera.com/products/ip/iup/peripherals/m-eur-ahb-bus-slave.html 

--- Quote End ---  

Dear BadOmen, 

How can I make use of them? 

If I open SOPC builder or Qsys there is no AHB bus master or slave.  

Thanks 

Hamidreza
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually now that I look at the diagram it appears like they are only meant for connecting to glue logic. So I mistook them for a different pair of bridges that worked in SOPC Builder long ago. 

I'm sure if you google around you'll find ones I'm thinking of, whether they still work in the latest tools..... I doubt it. These days it might be easier to adapt your AHB interface into AXI and use Qsys instead since AXI was recently added to it (not fully supported in 11.1 though). 

If you need to stick to AHB then creating your own bridge shouldn't be too difficult. You would have to handle all the AHB connectivity outside of Qsys since it doesn't support AHB.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did anyone made progress on that bridge? 

I am currently looking for an AHB-Avalon-Bridge both Master and Slave. 

best 

Tristan
0 Kudos