Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Loss of lock in the PLL of ALTLVDS_Rx

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have two similar boards based on Cyclone III. 

My project works in both boards. This project performs exchange of data between boards with LVDS (physical link is made by SATA cable and connectors). 

Two boards are connected by two SATA cables. 

Accidentally (it may be very sparse), I see the loss of lock in the PLL of ALTLVDS_Rx (I capture falling edge of output "rx_locked"). 

What can be the reason of it ?
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can try. But I don't know if it actually helps with the "loss of lock" issue. It's just following the hardware manual suggestion.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Creating ALTLVDS_Rx with external PLL is time-taking procedure for my project (it is necessary to rewrite several finite state machines related to ALTLVDS_Rx). I'll do it during some days. 

And I have one more idea about PLL of ALTLVDS_Tx. After compilation there is critical warning: PLL"altlvds_tx0:inst23|altlvds_tx:altlvds_tx_component|lvds_tx_7ki1:auto_generated|lvds_tx_pll" input clock inclk[0] is not fully compensated because it is fed by a remote clock pin "Pin_90". 

To compensate tx_inclock of ALTLVDS_Tx I have decided to cascade main PLL of my project and PLL of ALTLVDS_Tx. Namely, I created one more clock output "clk_lvds" (20 MHz) in main PLL and reconfigured main PLL in source-syncronous mode with compensated clock "clk_lvds". This new clock "clk_lvds" feeds input "tx_inclock" in ALTLVDS_Tx.  

After compilation the warning appeared: 

PLL"altlvds_tx0:inst23|altlvds_tx:altlvds_tx_component|lvds_tx_7ki1:auto_generated|lvds_tx_pll" input clock inclk[0] is not fully compensated and may have reduced jitter performance because it is fed by a non-dedicated input. 

And attached to warning info message: 

Input port INCLK[0] of node "altlvds_tx0:inst23|altlvds_tx:altlvds_tx_component|lvds_tx_7ki1:auto_generated|lvds_tx_pll" is driven by altpll0:inst38|altpll:altpll_component|altpll_67s2:auto_generated|clk[3]~clkctrl which is OUTCLK output port of Clock control block type node altpll0:inst38|altpll:altpll_component|altpll_67s2:auto_generated|clk[3]~clkctrl. 

I see, there is no cascading of PLLs. How can I do it? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Instead of cascading of PLLs, I changed clock generator. Now it is Jauch O 10,0-JO75-B-3,3-2-T1-LF. Its phase jitter < 1 ps and frequency stability is 50 ppm. Previous generator (Golledge, GXO-7531) had 50 ppm and its phase jitter was unknown, I think it was very bad as manufacturer didn't publish it. 

After continuous hard test (during 3 days) it was only one loss of lock !!! 

It is amazing result.
0 Kudos