Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

manual clock

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I am fresh new to Quartus/Cyclone and Everything related to them. 

My first project at school consits of downloading a circuit to Cyclone II board and demonstrating that its output is correct. 

What I am having problem at is the clock . I want the clock to be an input pin, by which I mean , I want to send out a clock signal every time I want (by turning on & off a switch or by using a push button on the board) and not have any internal or automatic clock. 

I was trying to do something on my own with Timing Analysis Settings, but I think i messed up things even worse. 

Right now I get the following warnings when compiling the project: 

warning: Can't achieve timing requirement Minimum Pulse Width Requirement (Low) along 3 path(s). See Report window for details. 

critical warning: Timing requirements for slow timing model timing analysis were not met. See Report window for details. 

warning: Found 3 output pins without output pin load capacitance assignment 

Info: Pin "A" has no specified output pin load capacitance -- assuming default load capacitance of 0 pF for timing analysis 

Info: Pin "B" has no specified output pin load capacitance -- assuming default load capacitance of 0 pF for timing analysis 

Info: Pin "C" has no specified output pin load capacitance -- assuming default load capacitance of 0 pF for timing analysis 

warning: The Reserve All Unused Pins setting has not been specified, and will default to 'As output driving ground'. 

Below is also a part of the circuit if helpful. 

http://permeti-jone.com/meti/prjct1.jpg  

How can I set this up ? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would use the internal clock as it is and use the push button signal as a clock enable instead

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi there, 

warning: Can't achieve timing requirement Minimum Pulse Width Requirement (Low) along 3 path(s). See Report window for details. 

critical warning: Timing requirements for slow timing model timing analysis were not met. See Report window for details. 

Thank you 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you set frequency requirement for ur design? This warning seems that the design cannot fulfill your timing requirement. 

However I agree with Bango's opinion about the clock n enable signal, or perhaps you just replace your "clock" input by "enable", it sounds more suitable.
0 Kudos