Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

cpu not found

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

This issue has been posted by someone else in the General Altera section of this forum but I thought I'd post it in here as it is more of a Nios issue. 

Basically I am getting this build error when trying to compile a project that I successfully built in 7.2 sp3 about a year ago. 

make -s all includes  

Creating generated_app.mk... 

Creating generated_all.mk... 

ERROR: module cpu (altera_nios2) not found in component directory (install.ptf) 

Aug 31, 2010 3:08:59 PM - (SEVERE) generate: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: com.altera.ingenuous.GTFElement.GTFElementErrorExc eption: <error> element in GTF script 

Since creating and releasing this project I had my machine upgraded to a Win7 machine and I now have to do some work on the project again, so I installed the 7.2 sp3 tools on an XP VM. This is when I got this compile error. 

To try and fix this I have re-installed Quartus, the IP megacore library and Nios II incrementally from 7.2 through to sp3, just in case it's moaning about some sort of missing component in any of the service pack updates. 

I have looked in the Altera installed folders and the nios component does exist in the sopc folder, so I'm a bit confused about what it's moaning about. 

The hardware portion of the project builds with no problems at all in sopc builder and in Quartus II, it's just the software I am having this issue with. 

I'm not new to the Altera environment at all, so I am very familiar with the tools, it's just that I have never come across this error before. 

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/fixes then please let me know. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After 2 days of messing about I have finally found the reason for this error, so I shall post my fix for all those who may stumble across the same issue. 

All you have to do is go into your main project folder and move/delete any pre-compiled *.sof and *.ptf files from it, including any backup versions you may have under the same name. While you are at it you can also delete the .sopc_builder folder as well as the sopc builder will re-generate that file when you run it again. 

Rebuild the IP in sopc builder, rebuild the hardware in Quartus.  

Launch Nios II and do a clean and a build. 

I hope this may help anyone who is stuck with the same compiler error.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I do rather wish that ALL of the generated files were put into subdirectories. 

And probably one directory for the generated target files, and another for all the intermediaries. 

That would make it much easier to determine which files need to go under source control, and which can be safely deleted.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I do rather wish that ALL of the generated files were put into subdirectories. 

And probably one directory for the generated target files, and another for all the intermediaries. 

That would make it much easier to determine which files need to go under source control, and which can be safely deleted. 

--- Quote End ---  

I totally agree with you on this. We have had soooo many issues with people archiving the wrong files, or not enough files, into source control. This results in either corrupted/un-buildable projects when the files are checked out or just random missing target files :mad:.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not to mention putting files I've written (or are trully user-editable) in a different directory from everything on the Altera release media.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I put also all my user-created files in a separate 'Design' folder. You can configure Quartus to put its own compiled files in a separate 'output' folder, but you still have SOPC builder that creates a complete mess in the main project folder...

0 Kudos