Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4893 Discussions

Unable to set virtual functions on Intel X710 interfaces

bjarneeins
Beginner

To prepare the Intel X710 for SR-IOV I am trying to enhance the number of virtual functions on the interfaces of this card. To do so, I have followed this guide:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/configure-sr-iov-network-virtual-functions-in-linux-kvm.html

Unfortunately, when executing the command which should set the number of VF's, I am getting the following error messages:

echo 4 > /sys/class/net/enp196s0f0/device/sriov_numvfs
echo: write error: Input/output error
[Thu Apr 18 14:41:01 2024] i40e 0000:c4:00.0: Allocating 4 VFs.
[Thu Apr 18 14:41:01 2024] pci 0000:c4:02.0: [8086:154c] type 7f class 0xffffff
[Thu Apr 18 14:41:01 2024] pci 0000:c4:02.0: unknown header type 7f, ignoring device
[Thu Apr 18 14:41:02 2024] i40e 0000:c4:00.0: Failed to enable SR-IOV: -5

Some informations on what I have tried and which system I am on:

- Server: Dell PowerEdge R7515

- Settings:

- enabled global SR-IOV in BIOS

- enabled IOMMU in BIOS

- Set kernel parameters: intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

- Updated Firmware of X710 to latest (9.40)

However, even after setting all the parameters, the error message persists. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Bjarneeins,

Good day!

Thank you for reaching out on the Intel Community and providing the detailed system information.

To address the issue with the error message you encountered, please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Refer to the SR-IOV Configuration Guide for Intel® Ethernet CNA X710 & XL710 on Red Hat* Enterprise Linux 7* available at SR-IOV Configuration Guide. Ensure to carefully follow the steps mentioned in the guide.
  2. Update both the Physical and Virtual Functions to the latest driver version.

We look forward to your response and are here to assist you further.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
bjarneeins
Beginner

Hello Simon-Intel,

thank you for the suggestions. 

regarding 2: I have updated both PF and VF drivers to the latest available ones: 

• Physical Function (i40e) version: 2.24.6
  • Virtual Function (iavf) version: 4.10.6

regarding 1: I have followed the guide but without success. The error persists.

One thing to mention, I have followed the guide on the same system but with CentOS7 installed and setting the Virtual Function count worked without an issue there.

Any idea how that can be? 

Greetings,
Bjarne

0 Kudos
Varsha11
Employee

Hello Bjarne,

Greetings for the day !

Thankyou for the information .

At the moment, we are actively working towards finding an appropriate resolution for your issue, and we will provide you with an update as soon as we can. We kindly request your cooperation during this time.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Andrii,

Good Day!

Thank you for your patience as we address the issue you've encountered. At Intel, ensuring your satisfaction is our top priority.

Upon further investigation, we regret to inform you that the operating system you are currently using is not supported for the Intel Ethernet product in question. For more details, please refer to this article: Operating System Compatibility for Intel Ethernet Products.

We are here to assist you further and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Bjarne,

Good Day!

Thank you for your patience as we address the issue you've encountered. At Intel, ensuring your satisfaction is our top priority.

Upon further investigation, we regret to inform you that the operating system you are currently using is not supported for the Intel Ethernet product in question. For more details, please refer to this article: Operating System Compatibility for Intel Ethernet Products..

We are here to assist you further and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Bjarne,

Good Day!

I am writing to follow up on our previous correspondence, As I haven't received a response yet, I wanted to touch base and see if there are any updates or if there is any additional information you require from my end.

I understand that you may be busy, and I appreciate your time and attention to this matter. If there's anything I can do to assist you further or if you need any clarification, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you and best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Bjarneeins,

Greetings for the day!

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous information provided.

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos