Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20822 Discussions

ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact - A770 LE - Occasional VGA Card is not supported by UEFI driver

HueSplat
Novice

This is a tough one for you, I assume it is some issue with either the Intel GOP implementation OR ASUS reading/loading the Intel GOP. Perhaps a timing thing where it is trying to initialize before a ready state or something.

Occasionally the system fails to post with the error "The VGA Card is not supported by UEFI driver. CSM settings have been changed for better compatibility"

This obviously enables CSM so I need to enter the BIOS and disable CSM any time the issue occurs.
The Intel ARC GPU requires resize bar enabled and CSM disabled.

I am unable to reproduce the issue on demand, it is sparodic and occurs at random.
Steps i have taken:
Reset bios settings to defaults, reflash bios, shutting off the power at the wall after each shutdown, enable ErP in BIOS, increase "POST Delay Time" in bios, try older bios version.
None have solved the issue.

Frustratingly, the system can work without issue for say 20-30 power ons, then the next power on it will fail. I have had the issue occur from a restart so it is not just powering on after a shutdown.

Intel ARC A770 16GB Limited Edition.
Product Code: 21P01J00BA

Xiaomi Mi 34 display connected by displayport, no other displays (or cables) connected.

AMD 5800X3D
ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact - Latest BIOS 4402
Corsair AX1000 PSU
2X 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
NO RISER CABLE, GPU directly in motherboard slot.

CSM disabled, resize bar enabled, TPM enabled, Secure Boot enabled.

This exact GPU and display work without any issues on an MSI Z690 Force WiFi + 12900KF with CSM disabled.

I am guessing contact ASUS support but thought I should also report it here.

**EDIT**
This system has had no issues running a 6900XT, 5700XT and RTX 3090 with CSM disabled and resize bar enabled.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HueSplat

After checking this issue with our team allow me to tell you that we had a couple of reports of this same issue, we are currently investigating and hope to release a fix in a future V-Bios update, however, there is no estimated time for a fix to be released. In case you want to share the status later on you can reference the Bug ID 14017786850 in future threads. We appreciate the information that you shared on this thread as it helps us to keep improving our products.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HueSplat
Novice

Just for reference,

I completely unplugged everything except my keyboard, displayport cable and power cable. The only internal USB device is the ARC GPU itself.

I cleared CMOS settings, loaded bios defaults. (CSM Disabled is a default setting)

Disabled Fast Boot
Enabled Secure Boot (Set OS type to "Windows UEFI mode")
Enabled Resizable Bar

I then powered on the PC, pressed delete to enter bios, once inside the bios i would just navigate a few menus and used control+alt+delete to reboot.

I repeated that 63 times and encountered the error.

Attached is a picture of the boot error, a picture of the only settings changed from the BIOS defaults and a complete dump of BIOS settings as a TXT file.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HueSplat

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing these random errors when trying to Post your system with Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

I see that you have covered most of the troubleshooting, so I would like to ask you to perform just a couple more steps and provide us with another log file so we can further investigate this issue:

• Try different DisplayPort cables and check if the same error happens.
  • Try an HDMI connection instead of DisplayPort, and check if the same error happens.
  • Create a System report following these instructions. Only use the instructions under Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC) :

Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
HueSplat
Novice

Hey Hugo,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried a different DisplayPort cable (different brand and VESA certified).

I tried HDMI with a different display entirely (only a single display/cable connected).

I have also updated to the latest ARC BETA driver 31.0.101.4257.

Attached is the report as requested.

I did contact ASUS on the issue, their end response was "cannot guarantee complete compatibility between the customer's GPU and this motherboard. "

Some other steps taken as per ASUS support suggetions:

I removed the Intel ARC GPU, brushed the motherboard PCIE slot and the GPU contacts with an anti-static brush.
I cleaned the GPU contacts with isopropyl alcohol then I used a can of compressed air to blow the PCIE slot and GPU contacts to ensure they were as clean as possible.

I reset bios to default settings,
I enabled resizable bar,
I set Boot OS to Windows UEFI Mode.
I increased the SOV voltage to 1.050V (as per request) which is the highest I feel comfortable setting.

No other bios options were modified. CSM is disabled by default, Secure Boot enabled as shown in Windows and BIOS reading.
The ARC GPU is inserted directly into the motherboard without any riser cable.

Very odd issue, completely variable where it can boot completely fine 60 or so times and then fail saying the VGA is not supported by the UEFI driver.

I assume there is not much that can be done about it, unless it is a widespread issue.
I wonder if others have had the problem, pressed F2 to continue and not realised they have CSM enabled. Imposible to tell.

Maybe a future ARC VBIOS/OPROM/GOP will resolve the issue even if the target fix is unrelated.

It's not really a big deal for me to go into the bios and disable CSM when the problem pops up.

I an happy if you just want to leave it there and close this case?

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HueSplat

Thank you for providing these details. As you mentioned the issue seems to be pretty sporadic and isolated, however, I would like to check all the information that you have provided with our team before we close this thread. Please allow us a little time to check this and I will get back to you once I have more information.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HueSplat

After checking this issue with our team allow me to tell you that we had a couple of reports of this same issue, we are currently investigating and hope to release a fix in a future V-Bios update, however, there is no estimated time for a fix to be released. In case you want to share the status later on you can reference the Bug ID 14017786850 in future threads. We appreciate the information that you shared on this thread as it helps us to keep improving our products.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello HueSplat

Since there are no further questions we will be closing this thread. If you need further assistance do not hesitate in opening a new topic as this thread will no longer be monitored. Once again we appreciate your continued support and the feedback you shared on this thread.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos