Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Intel 510s 250gb RAID 0 - Very low performance

Hello, 1st post here. I just bought a couple of these drives and picked them over Vertex 3 due to reliability. However I'm running a RAID 0 and getting rather low performance in every benchmark I've tested:

Crystalmark for example:

Seq read: 545, write: 453

512k read: 322, write: 416

4k read: 15, write: 30

4kQD32 read: 159, write: 100

Get very similar results in AS SSD

System:

This is a brand new M18x Laptop

i7 2920xm

8 GB Ram 1866

Windows 7 64

I did a fresh install, disabled the defrag and indexing

My stripe is 465GB and the Raid is configured with 128KB Blocks.

I did install the Intel Rapid Storage Driver

Any ideas?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Sorry I speak no English.

Search "LPM" in Google in your language. Maybe this is your problem.

Alternatively, http://www.derbench.de/index.php/hardwaretipps/1-haenger-mit-ssd-durch-ausschalten-von-intel-lpm-lin... here is a German site. In the bottom of this page contains information from Intel in the English language.

My advice: Do not use the automatic reg files!

If you're technically savvy, then the three Reg-values change manually! The values can always be put back again.

Please give a feedback in this forum!

PS: Secure your system before!

Changes in the registry at your own risk.

Here's a http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f227/haenger-mit-ssd-durch-ausschalten-von-intel-lpm-link-power... thread on this subject in German.

(http://translate.google.de/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http:... same link with Google Translate in english)

My post you'll find there on page 8 (RickiBerlin)
idata
Community Manager

Thank you ricky but I don't think this is an LPM issue, I don't have any blue screens, lock ups, my issue seems to be around the SATA/Driver detecting my second drive as a SATA 3 (6gb/s) drive.

idata
Community Manager

This has nothing to do with BSOD and lock ups.

Also, I had no problems.

However, the brakes "LPM" 4K performance. And this is a small extent even under "SATA II".

An attempt is worth it in every case.

Switch to SSD Port tentatively "LPM" off

Then measure the speed.

For me, "LPM" disabled.
idata
Community Manager

Ok fair enough, do the instructions in that link you posted apply to the Intel 510?

idata
Community Manager

It is general and not tied to a drive.

You can also read through the German thread. (Link in my first post)

Here is preceded by the behavior of C300 in SATA III mode. This also works with the Marvell controller. Here are large differences in performance between "LPM" off and on.

It is about the Intel SATA controller on the board.

I like just above forms for "Port 0" "LPM disabled". This port depends on my "Intel 510 250GB SSD".

I hope I understood your question correctly.

In short, yes even for 510 series.
idata
Community Manager

Ok so under regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStor\Parame

ters

I created 2 new keys (one for each of my drives:

ters\Port0\

ters\Port1\

Not sure exactly how to complete this step: (do i have to add a string? Dword? key? to each of my ports (0 and 1)

4. Now add the following registry keys under the registry location mentioned in step3, if they are not available (These registry keys are not available by default, they can be added by using utomated scripts, .reg files, executable utilities, etc). If you find the below registry keys already available, you can modify the values for desired support. Values are modified on a port by port basis so modify all ports that you wish the changes to be supported on. **

"LPM"=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]

"LPMSTATE"=dword: 00000000 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Disabled]

(Note: the driver ignores this key when the LPM key'svalue is not set to 1. So when LPM value is 0, this value is N/A.)

"LPMDSTATE"=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Enabled]

"DIPM"=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]
idata
Community Manager

These three values must be set from 1 to 0. (to deactivate the respective system ports)

For me only Port0.

1.LPM

2.LPMDSTATE

3.DIPM

4.LPMSTATE not change!

If you do not have these values, then use http://www.derbench.de/images/lmp-reg-files.zip this link.

Included are activation and deactivation of RegFile "LPM".

Look at the RegFile previously with the editor.

For more information and other causes:

http://e1337.ws/daten/port_und_lpm_vergleich.pdf See here a comparison of PDF. At the end you'll find the 510 series.

In every picture you see the current status. (top right in each image)

"3 or 6 Gb / s" ------ "Hotlpug on or off" / --------" LPM on or off "

1 = on

Other problems can also "intel speedstep" and "C-states" to be your processor. This has also great influence on the "4K performance.

This is better then Google in your language!

With me is "intel speedstep" and "C-states" are also disabled.
idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the help, at the risk of making a mistake, do you have a screen shot of your (or any other) registry that has these fixes so I can be sure of the structure and how it looks?

idata
Community Manager

idata
Community Manager

Perfect, that's what I needed, just wanted to be sure Thank you let me do a test run.

idata
Community Manager

Before test start thinking about rebooting!

Each Reg - change to the rescan.

Have you off SpeedStep?

Have you off C-states?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.h... Read here interesting information in your language.

EDIT:

I've just seen your stats again from post one.

Please remember, the 510 series is not the best in 4k.

Your changes will not turn out so great.

You see this also in the "test-PDF" one of my previous posts.

Do not expect huge gains. If no improvement, then "LPM" turn back!

idata
Community Manager

Yup I have rebootet and all i did is the LPM fix

I notice no speed improvement

And Intel Rapid Storage still reports port 1 as 3gb/s

idata
Community Manager

Why Port1 as 3Gb / s is displayed?

Maybe there is your problem!?

A user in this thread had the same problem. (with C300)

After an exchange of this port was fixed.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=de&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.de&sl... post16610939 See here.

In the Intel forum, there is also one this thread:

/thread/23997?start=0&tstart=0 Intel 510 SSD Seen as 3Gbs Drive

Whether it helps I can not say.

Your values with the "LPM" off are even less makes no sense.

Or is this at the other "benchmark program"?

Too bad I could not help you.

idata
Community Manager

Yes the other benchmark I used is Crystaldisk...they are similar. I wouldnt say they went down.

idata
Community Manager

Yup thats the problem, that because port 1 is @ 3gb it's bringing the actual Raid 0 down to 3 gb/s instead of 6gb/s (SATA 3).

idata
Community Manager

My German friend, thanks for all the help. My issue has been resolved and working for a good part of the day.

I'm sure I can get some better 4k, but in all honesty I probably won't need it that much anyhow.

Once again, thx for the help and the info. + rep

idata
Community Manager

Wow, those are some wild numbers is both benchmarks! Basically exactly twice the single drive speeds. Breaking the 1GB/s barrier with permanent storage, nice.

The 4K numbers are odd, as my single 120GB 510 does better than that, as I imagine each of your 250GB 510's do on their own. I wonder what causes that?

idata
Community Manager

Thanks, the numbers are indeed higher than expected (was thinking 850mb/s would be the max) as far as the 4k, I have no ideas why, however I don't really deal with DB's so shouldn't be an issue...

Was just about to replace these guys for the Vertex 3 MaxIops, the price is actually cheaper for the Vertex 3 and performance is about 10-15% on reads, about 40% on writes and around 100%+ on the 4k's.... however I don't think running a raid 0 with OCZ drives is such a good idea from a reliability stand point

idata
Community Manager

Yes 4k is still not optimal. Since the values of my SATA II system is better. I guess SpeedStep and C-states are still active.

Please describe for the other users with this problem (Raid0 6Gb / s and 3Gb / s) exactly what had helped.

After the LPM off your problem was still there.

Did you connect the SSD to another port?

Or do you work as recommended by me with ThrottleStop?

Or Hotplug off ?

idata
Community Manager

To be honest with you I'm not sure what resolved it.

I followed your LPM fix

I reinstalled the sata driver

swapped ports but the issue was still there

Then I updated windows to the latest fixes (around 27, since it was a new install)

I did ran Throttlestop but didnt do much with it.

And I noticed the issue was fixed.