cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Setting Rapid Storage Data and Cache volume

Hi!

I have 30GB SSD with the Intel's Rapid Start and Storage technology.

The original setup was in Intel Rapid Storage software:

Array_0000:

- Volume_001: 8GB (data)

- Volume_002: 22GB (cache)

I disabled acceleration and could use SSD as separate drive.

Now i want to restore original drive structure 8GB (data) and 22GB (cache) volume,

but i see only 30 GB (cache) in Rapid Storage software after enable acceleration.

I can't set 8GB data volume.

I created 8GB hibernation partition with diskpart (create partition primary size=8192 id=84) too

and start technology worked, but after enabling acceleration i got 30 GB (cache) volume without hibernation or data volume.

My question is how to restore the original drive structure?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Any luck? I have the SSD showing in the software, but no accelerate button either. I have recerated the hybernation partition etc, but I just can't get it to show the button

idata
Community Manager

hey guys,

This caught my eye due to me just getting a laptop for my daughter this week ready for christmas. Anyway whilst doing the usual crap removal and getting the latest drivers etc i also noticed this scenario you guys are talking about. It has an msata ssd set up with cache / Raid and acceleration. So i thought im not going to mess with that just yet.

Anyhow these links may help you set up :

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/z75-z77-express-chipset-brief.html Intel® Z75/Z77 Express Chipsets: Product Brief

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_respons... Powered by Google Docs

Second link probably best , first link is just about the system

idata
Community Manager

Oh, I know how to set it up. Looks like a re-install is need to get the button to show. I ran some tests and confirmed the button shows up when the main OS drive is a platter drive after a windows install. If I do the same process but install windows onto the new 256gb SSD, I cannot use the mSATA ssd to cache...the accelerate button doesn't show up. I don't see why I can't accelerate any type of drive. Perhaps a problem with the driver/utility

idata
Community Manager

Click on the Acceleration button and then Reset setting...

idata
Community Manager

Try doing a diskpart / clean on the SSD and see if the accelerate button shows up.

idata
Community Manager

I guess what I am doing can't be done/unsupported. You cannot use an SSD to accelerate another SSD. From internal training resources @ Dell.

In the BIOS, the mSATA card, spindle HDD and SSD all have a different rank in the boot preference. It lies SDD>mSATA>HDD. So you can accelerate only to drives lower on the rank. This is an non-modifiable BIOS setting and is managed by the Intel controller we use. This should be the same with all IRST enabled boards, from what I can tell, but cannot confirm. In order to accelerate, you need to have a drive that is considered "faster" for access than where the data portion is going to reside, otherwise, the IRST ignores the accelerate option. So, in essence, you cannot accelerate to an SSD.