cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

horrible results in x25-m...

Hi,

I went through different posts, but cant see a solution.

Just bought a new motherboard and Athlon, put SSD in AHCI mode with Win7. My results:

Sata2, Win7 Home, disabled defrag, superfetch

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Community Manager

ANYONE pls :-(

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

How many programs did you have running the background??

idata
Community Manager

Try running benchmark in Windows Safe Mode and repost results.

Wait until all SSD/HDD activity has stopped on your system before starting benchmark.

Keep your hands in your lap until benchmark displays final results.

Also please post your drive configuration.

In my BIOS it is found under DRIVE CONFIGURATION / ADVANCED. Include all SATA devices shown in priority order. Do NOT move any SATA cables, just post the information.

idata
Community Manager

Well... it looks like my motherboard SATA controller is slower than it should be... I borrowed a Seagate 7200 500GB HDD, very fast & almost new hard drive, and tested it in my PC. So there is no problem with hdd activity, as it is an empty, non-system disc.

Results are:

They should be at least +20% better...

In BIOS, under Integrated Peripherals, I have:

OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]

OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]

OnChip SATA Type [AHCI]

OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type SATA

SSD connected to SATA0...

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3

idata
Community Manager

Can you provide an AS SSD benchmark of your C: drive running in Windows Safe Mode?

idata
Community Manager

Here is a banchmark from Windows Safe Mode... Almost the same results...

idata
Community Manager

From what I see it look like the only problem is heavy NTFS file system overhead. If you are interested I could write you a cleanup checklist that will take care of that.

idata
Community Manager

It's going to be the AMD SATA controller. If possible try the drive in a system with an Intel ICH9 or ICH10 controller. You should then see better benchmark results.

Stopping light background process will make zero difference, as you found out by running in safe mode. That's the bad news; the good news is that outside of benchmarking you will most likely not notice any difference.

(EDIT: I'm not sure if the SB710 passes the trim command or not. If not, are you running the Intel SSD Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Community Manager

Thanks to ALL of you guys! yes, i was worried, but I guess will not see the difference in every day work.

I also tried ATTO benchmark and it looks 10% slower than other results, so... will just leave it.

I was told I dont neew Intel toolbox for optimizing as I use Win7, but just in case I ran it last week

idata
Community Manager

Try turning off all power saving options in the bios and in windows. Your 4k results should then shoot up. I have found that with power saving options like in my case speed step etc on my p55 chipset impacts performance on my intel x25m. Hope this helps.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I have found that ATTO gives more real world readings than most. But How many Benchmark programs are there ??

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Hay James good to see you are still posting , could you post the check list that you referred to ??

idata
Community Manager

Robert, I will start working on it. I keep it in my head and have never committed it to paper. This is not a trivial task because expertise and familiarity with specific products can not be assumed. It only uses free and products available with free trials.

When I finish the draft I will email it to you so you can review/test it for me.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Thanks I've always respected your advice. use my personal email it's available in my profile .

idata
Community Manager

I've decided to give an update and maybe u could advise...

I noticed a very, very weird thing. My SSD is much faster (I can see it in benchmarks & in Windows during my work) after I run a fast scan with Intel SSD Toolbar. My access times are around 0.1ms instead of 0.2ms and all other results are +30% better. But after a few hours it is like on the first screen (I am not happy with the access time as it should be x4 better).

I checked all basic settings in Windows for SSD and they are fine... Any ideas, guys???

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Can I ask a dumb question , Is this drive in a place where it may be getting HOT, Proper cooling is needed even for SSDs????

idata
Community Manager

Not really, case is empty, no graphic card inside, case cooler in place...