Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Intel VTune for Ubuntu

chester_grimmes
Beginner
Hi,

Are there any good user guides out there for installing VTunes on Ubuntu?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has had any luck with Ubuntu

Thanks,
Chester
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

There is no specific document for Ubuntu.

First at all, please refer to latest v9.1 Update - VTune Analyzer supports Ubuntu* 8.10. Other version is NOT guaranteed

Secondarythe user should work as "root" user, such as "sudo su -"

Use "apt-get update", "apt-get Upgrade" to install necessary utilities which will be used by VTune Analyzer's installer.

For java VM, please use one of below
  • Sun* J2SE 5.0 and 6
  • BEA* JRockit 5.0 and 6

You should have no problem to install the product, and run...

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
chester_grimmes
Beginner
Thanks I managed to get it installed a few days ago.

A follow-up question about using VTune. For both the gui and non-gui, I noticed that VTune takes a input executable for its sampling. Is there anyway I can run VTune without an executable and just sample data over time? I'm more interested in being able to analyze the hardware counters/events for the entire system rather than one specific application.

Is this possible with VTune or is there another product that you would recommend?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - chester_t001

A follow-up question about using VTune. For both the gui and non-gui, I noticed that VTune takes a input executable for its sampling. Is there anyway I can run VTune without an executable and just sample data over time? I'm more interested in being able to analyze the hardware counters/events for the entire system rather than one specific application.

Is this possible with VTune or is there another product that you would recommend?

Hi,

Yes. VTune Analyzer has three working modes - GUI (plugged-in *Eclipse), VTL command line, RDC (Remote Data Collector)

The user can specify an application to be launched by VTune Analyzer before sampling, or manually launch an applications then doing sampling. Sampling will capture performance data for all active applications, drivers and system modules - note that this is a system-wide sampling.

Also VTune Analyzer provides SamplingOver Time view function - see online help.

I think that VTune Analyzer meets your requirements.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
chester_grimmes
Beginner
Quoting - chester_t001

Hi,

Yes. VTune Analyzer has three working modes - GUI (plugged-in *Eclipse), VTL command line, RDC (Remote Data Collector)

The user can specify an application to be launched by VTune Analyzer before sampling, or manually launch an applications then doing sampling. Sampling will capture performance data for all active applications, drivers and system modules - note that this is a system-wide sampling.

Also VTune Analyzer provides SamplingOver Time view function - see online help.

I think that VTune Analyzer meets your requirements.

Regards, Peter

Thanks. Makes more sense now. I can just run a dummy app and monitor the rest.

I have another question regarding my results when running the demo app (see attachment for screenshot)
If you look in the Event window in the right, I was expecting to see the hardware counters there, but all I get are the event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD samples. Is there some settings that I missed or did I miss something when I compiled the kernel?

Thanks for the help again.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - chester_t001

Thanks. Makes more sense now. I can just run a dummy app and monitor the rest.

I have another question regarding my results when running the demo app (see attachment for screenshot)
If you look in the Event window in the right, I was expecting to see the hardware counters there, but all I get are the event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD samples. Is there some settings that I missed or did I miss something when I compiled the kernel?

Thanks for the help again.

Hi,

The pictureyou provided displays samples for event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD - whichcounts Cycles when thread is not halted on each processor.

You can modifythis activity by right-clicking and selecting "Modify Activity...", on "Activity Configuration" dialog - select "Configure..." for "Collector(s):" column, pop up a "Configure Sampling" dialog - select "Events" item, then you canappend new events from "Available events:" list.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos