Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4880 Discussions

Intel Network I225-V Nework issue persist even after FW upgrade

KT_Customs
Novice

Hello,

I have a question about Intel network I225-V. My ASUS Maximus XII Extreme suffer with this issue - https://wccftech.com/intel-foxville-i225-v-2-5gbe-networking-issues-persist-z490-motherboards-affected/ like there mentioned.

But when Intel planning to Supply the manufactures of the newest revision B3 of I225-V NIC on Z490 boards? Because mine is B2 revision and I have this issue when I turn on the PC or restart the PC. And it is very annoying when you playing games and streaming that the network connection will drop. This issue is happening intermittently also when playing games. And this is not all, my network speed drops to half when the connection is dropped and the renewed.

So on my side I have tested all things to get this work without issues. 

So I have tested the Firmware update on ASUS page for I225-V.

Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Everything was success, the FW is actual, but...

And the issue still persist. I have tested the oldest and newest drivers of I225-V and nothing. So, when we can expect the B3 revision on Z490 Boards with I225-V? 

Thank you for your support.

136 Replies
FranzJeger
New Contributor I

They will start to talk when we get together and put on a class action lawsuit Intel knowingly continue to sell this garbage faulty products when they know it's a myriad of problems with it. They think they can get away with scamming their customer they are sorely wrong! 

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

Update - I continued my troubleshooting by doing a complete network reset as detailed here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058982/ethernet-products.html

And now my connection is completely blown. The icon with the Network area of the Windows 10 Network interface simply says "network cable unplugged" and the event log is filling rapidly. It's almost as if the NIC has completely died?

Wow - I am stunned. At least this was sorta working a half hour ago - now it's completely gone.

Sonic.

0 Kudos
criskoe
Novice

@SonicMojo 

Well that issue does some more like a full failure. Maybe a RMA will get it at least working kind of again. These NICs are bad either way even when they are working. Drop outs, Horrible packet loss and throttled speeds.... 

If you got a space pci slot Id suggest just getting a add in NIC card. And steer clear on any future board this this crappy I225-V NIC. Beware, alot of z590 boards still use this NIC.... 

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

@criskoe wrote:

@SonicMojo 

Well that issue does some more like a full failure. Maybe a RMA will get it at least working kind of again. These NICs are bad either way even when they are working. Drop outs, Horrible packet loss and throttled speeds.... 

If you got a space pci slot Id suggest just getting a add in NIC card. And steer clear on any future board this this crappy I225-V NIC. Beware, alot of z590 boards still use this NIC.... 

Did a bit more investigation - and it gets more bizarre - after logging what seemed like 1000 Event 27s over a hour or so - I decided to run the the standard Network Troubleshooter within Win 10 - it immediately came back with No Problems found. Which seemed really odd to me.

I then checked out the Power Management settings after a few more folks mentioned to turn OFF the option that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I did that but I needed to leave the other two options "Allow this device to wake the computer" AND "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" checked. Set the first OFF and the other two on and rebooted.

Now when machine comes up - I cannot for the life of me get an Error 27 to show up - which is a good thing - but ALL the WOL LAN settings automatically clear themselves. 

So it looks like I now have a solid network connection but no WOL (Which I have read is yet another issue with this card).

My next experiment is to now turn all three Power Saving options back on to see if that action results in more Event 27 errors....

Cheers

Sonic.

0 Kudos
ClarenceDonath
Beginner

Turn off power saving on that NIC, and especially the Asus power management software (Away mode).  This corrected the problem for me.  I am using the latest version of the NIC driver.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

@ClarenceDonath wrote:

Turn off power saving on that NIC, and especially the Asus power management software (Away mode).  This corrected the problem for me.  I am using the latest version of the NIC driver.

Clarence

Thanks - have power saving OFF but Wake On LAN on -as this is a requirement for backups here. And I have NO ASUS management software on here at all.

What version of the NIC driver are you using?

Sonic.

0 Kudos
ClarenceDonath
Beginner

I have driver version 1.0.2.8 -- I'm pretty sure this came from a Windows Update.  I used to try to block updates specifically for this device when I was trying to keep it at 1.0.1.4, until I discovered eliminating the power savings solve the issue for me.  I've been running without issue since March.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

Another update - after some more digging - it seems my issue with this is oddly unrelated to any issues with the i225-V OR the driver. After pulling my hair out yesterday going up and down the list of things to check - it suddenly dawned on me that the one thing I didn't check (and probably should have done first) was the actual LAN cable and wall plate connection. 

This machine has a dual LAN plate on the wall and when I unplugged the LAN cable from the bottom jack and plugged it back in the top slot - the I225-V instantly jumped to life, stopped displaying ANY Error 27s and has not disconnected once since I made the change.

This LAN plate is routed (in the walls) back to my main network switch panel in our media room and about three weeks ago I made a wholesale network hardware change of all our networking hardware from D-Link to Cisco. I am suspecting that the patch cabling that routes this specific LAN connection back to my main 24 port switch may have a dodgy patch cable and that's the reason for the sudden weirdness here.

I built this specific ASUS based machine back in March 2021 and did the NVM firmware upgrade the same day as the build and have not seen a single network issue until just very recently. Had another network "disconnect" issue with a printer recently too (which made me crazy) and when I switched out the cable on that one - that problem too went away.

I can't help but think that I am experiencing actual physical cable problems here rather than anything specific to the I225-V. Logically - if there was an actual card issue (or driver problem) - I am almost 100% certain I would have noticed that well before this week. This machine has been online and solid since March 8, 2021

My testing bears this out as with this simple cable redirect - I am unable to reproduce any Error 27 "disconnect" events whatsoever.

Just a tip for anyone else having issues - even tho your brain says it's impossible - LAN cables can (and do) get weird after a time - especially if they are wrapped, bent/curved in a specific way for a long long time and so on. (like my patch panel cables are)

After this discovery - I am going to order up a dozen new short cables for my switch/patch panels and get these old cables out of circulation.

Cheers

Sonic.

0 Kudos
ClarenceDonath
Beginner

A bad cable is an amateur mistake.  Thank you for fessing up, and great find.  It's not like we have any help for you here beyond firmware and drivers -- this forum is just an aggregate of aggravating issues with this NIC, but it seems like the large deployment base of this NIC is proving it's relatively stable if not the best quality.

0 Kudos
Willem68
Beginner

Het LAN Driver Package (Versie 1.0.1.4)
2020/05/22 6.98 MBytes Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Stuurprogramma V1.0.1.4 voor Windows 10 64-bit.

In de beschrijving van het stuurprogrammapakket staat: Voordat u de Intel I225-V-stuurprogramma v.1.0.1.4 installeert, moet u ervoor zorgen dat de Intel I225-V-firmware wordt bijgewerkt naar v.1.45 via de firmware-updatetool. 

Binnen het driverpakket bevindt zich nog een gecomprimeerde map: I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATE.zi

Het bevat een install.bat-bestand en instructies (I225_FW_Update _Tool_SOP.pdf) voor het upgraden van de firmware.

Hallo,

Ik heb het zelfde probleem, en waar zijn deze bestanden te vinden v1.45?

M.v.g. Willem

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

I want to ask. Is this normal to give me that error. I reflash the firmware every time i have connection loss & got disconnected.
https://gyazo.com/fe406b9c9b7af9405b680cb7afe19a00

0 Kudos