Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4880 Discussions

X710-TM4/AT2 Initialization

tonynb
Beginner

Hello,

We build a board (as an OEM) with an X710-AT2 ethernet controller on it. I am wondering how to initialize it before using. I worked with an i211 before using eeupdate to program its iNVM file along with a MAC address etc. but for this X710-AT2, I couldn't find the iNVM file for it yet. A colleague of mine tried the NVM/lanconf tools version 9.20 download from Intel but it didn't work.

Please let me know where to download the iNVM file for X710-AT2 along with eeupdate (if required) or the proper process to initialize it.

Thanks
Tony

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Sazirah
Employee

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

You may visit our Intel Research and Documentation Center (link as below) for the required iNVM file for X710-TM4/AT2 ethernet controller. To access this page, you require to have RDC privileged account to access to it:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/resources-documentation/developer.html#gs.2znq0s

If you do not have RDC privileged account, you may also get assistance for the specific iNVM file and eeupdate from our Intel Embedded Connectivity Community team at:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

If you have any further questions related to this case, feel free to let us know and we will be happy to assist you more.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Sazirah,

Thank you for the links. One of my colleagues was able to program the MAC address as well as the initial NVM for the controller using the info found from the links. I'll get back to you if we need any further help.

Thanks
Tony

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi Tony,

Good day,

I am glad that you are able to find the required infos from the link provided. I would like to check if the issue has resolved from your end now?

If you have any questions or clarifications, please let me know.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Sazzy,

Thanks for your help so far. Currently I am able to flash a MAC address using eeupdate and NVM using lanconf (I guess I can use eeupdate for flashing NVM as well but have not tried yet.) It seems I don't need an iNVM file for the controller. The network adapter is up at 10G and can be used normally with Ubuntu 22.

Now I am trying to get it to boot via network but it seems not working yet. I tried to flash my customized iPXE ROM (EFI mode) but it failed either with lanconf (EEPROM/Flash -> NVM Image -> Update Module -> Option ROM) or with BootUtil ("Invalide image type" error). It doesn't show any PXE boot menu either when I tried to boot via network so there must be something missing. If you have any hint on the PXE booting with this controller (X710-AT2) please let me know.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Tony

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding enable PXE boot, can you help to give this a try and let me know the outcome.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000054990/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html

If this steps do not solve the issue, appreciate if you can let me know so that we can try another possible workaround for this issue.

Best Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi tonynb,

Good day,

This is related to your enquiries above, I would like to check if the issue has resolved?

If you have any questions or clarifications, please let me know.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Sazzy,

It seems like my flash was turned into "Protected" mode from previous commands used to update the NVM and MAC etc. I didn't know I have to use /NOPROT option. Is there anyway to get the flash out of "Protected" mode without replacing the EEPROM?

Thanks
Tony

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi tonynb,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding this matter, we will take this up to our higher level for next possible solution. Please give us some time and we will get back to you on this.

Anyhow, we recorded you have raised a question to our Intel Embedded Community team, lets give them some time to response with possible solution for your issue as they may also able to assist you on this.

Best Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Sazzy,

Just an update that after I modified the board a little bit to put the Windond flash in debug mode, the flash mode now is "Unprotected" as shown with lanconf and eeupdate. However lanconf still fails to update the option ROM with "ERROR: Shared flash write failed for module: Option ROM, c86a2051 - 'Flash write failed'"

If you have any idea how to resolve this, please let me know.

Thanks for your help so far,
Tony

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi tonynb,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding your issue, I have checked from my end, unfortunately from my team, we do not have enough data on resource for this NVM related issue. We believe this issue can be assist by our Intel Embedded Community team as they are more expert on this matter. I can see there is ongoing forum post for your issue in our Intel Embedded Community forum, please give them some time to provide the best solution for your ongoing issue.

Best Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Sazzy,

Thanks for your support. I was able to get the ethernet adapter up and running with my customized boot code. I think to this point all the issues we got have been resolved.

Best Regards,
Tony

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi tonynb,

Thank you for your reply. We are glad that the issue has been resolved. Since the issue has resolved, we will proceed to close this case #05927229 at our end. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for supporting Intel.

Best Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos