FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Use case of SLD hub controller

Peter01
Beginner

I want to use SLD hub in MAX-V FPGA.

The sink of SLD hub would be SLD node in the FPGA fabric.

How about the source of SLD hub ? ,  what is it's input ? (channel and protocol).  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
sld_hub_controller is used as lower level interface in sld_hub_controller_system and jtag-over-protocol IP, which are the hardware interfaces of documented remote debug solutions, see AN693 and AN971. The interfaces and protocols are not documented as such.

altera_streaming_sld_hub_controller_core.sv source has however meaningful comments, variable and state names, it's not too difficult to understand the intended usage. A testbench can help to figure out control timing.

MAX V has limited debugging capabilities due to low LE count, which debugging functions are you looking for?

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

You may refer to this diagram : 

sld_hub_contoller.jpg

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
Peter01
Beginner

Hi Farabi,

I have look the diagram.

Its from AN 693: Remote Hardware Debugging over TCP/IP for Altera SoC.

How the SoC can be replaced with the FPGA to debug over TCP/IP.

I want to debug the MAX-V FPGA.

thank you.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Don't understand why you rely on using MAX V for the project. It has no on-chip RAM and can't implement Signaltap.

There's a principle option to implement hardware TCP/IP stack in FPGA (probably needing more logic cells than provided by MAX V), but it's not supported by any Intel IP.

A processor-less remote debug interface can be easier implemented through other fast serial links.
0 Kudos
Peter01
Beginner

Hi Frank,

I can replace MAX V with MAX10. 

There's a principle option to implement hardware TCP/IP stack in FPGA (probably needing more logic cells than provided by MAX V), but it's not supported by any Intel IP.

I have planned this initially but dropped due to complexity.

A processor-less remote debug interface can be easier implemented through other fast serial links.
This exactly suits my application . Could you provide suggestion to  remote debug (signaltap) . 
I am aware of using JTAGD (Linux JTAG server) on x86 platform and using USB blaster. But this doesn't fit in my requirement.
A hint on use of SLD hub controller for remote debug would be appreciated.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

I am sorry for late reply. You may want to explore remote debugging setup from this link : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000078790.html

By enabling JTAG over network, you can use all the Quartus features including signaltap from remote.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Do you have further request?

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos