FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5238 Discussions

SD Card not working on DE1 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I try to run the "DE1_SD_Card_Audio" demo from the supplied CD, using 2 different SD cards: 

- an old 16 Mb (!!!) SanDisk SD card 

- a brand new 4Gb SanDisk HSSD card 

I formatted both under DOS prompt with: 

FORMAT F: /FS:FAT (ie. FAT16) 

I then copied straight away the 3 .wav files from the directory "E1_demonstrations\music" from the CD, which are uncompressed, stereo 16-bit PCM audio sampled at 48kHz into the SD's root directory. 

But when I launch the demo, I get no sound, just a small glitch when I switch SW0 on/off. 

I tried two completely different projects (both .qpf are designed specifically for the DE1 board), making sure the nCEO is declared in the settings as a regular I/O pin (see this (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547) thread), which are using the SD card for storage (FAT16), but I cannot get them to read the SD card either. 

Anyone has this demo working on a DE1 board or can tell me what am I doing wrong? 

Regards, 

Michel
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IIRC, the original version of the SD audio demo doesn't work. There is a fixed version at the Terasic web site. 

If it still doesn't work, try testing both features, SD and audio, separately.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, I will give it a try! 

I thought that by taking the latest CD on Terasic site, I would get it altogether, but this isn't the case. 

I can tell that audio is working though, as the synthesizer demo does output sound. 

Michel
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Still doesn't work. 

However, it looks like a compatibility issue with both of my SD Cards: tracing down at the signal level, everything is working electronically, but I don't get the expected answer to the SEND_OP_CMD reset command (0x01 == "In idle state" or 0x05 == "In idle state + Invalid command" instead of 0x00). 

I will post my progress in this thread. 

Michel
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am a newbee to FPGA world. where is this demo ? 

I am trying to run SD card music play lab as on page 6-5 of Cyclone II starter Development Kit User Guide, but can't find the elf or c files of the project (to compile or run) when I start nios2-ide and switch to the workspace CII_Starter_SD_Card_Audio as directed on page 6-7.  

I have already downloaded the sof into it. 

All the files were installed from the accompanying CD. 

Please help. 

Thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Were you able to solve the issue? I'm working with a Kingston 4GB card and it's not showing as detected.