Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20639 Discussions

How to get Full Range RGB from Intel HD Graphics?

KLill2
Novice

Has anyone found the trick to get Intel HD Graphics 3000 (on a SandyBridge 2500K) to output full range RGB to a full range capable digital television?

With my TV, it is impossible to get the iGPU to output Full range RGB. Both "Full" and "Limited" settings look the same, flat washed out. I tried connecting both directly to the TV and via the my Onkyo TX-SR605.

Then I went back to my ATI card, changed it from Full to Limited RGB, and the colors there now looked just as flat and washed out as the iGPU always outputs. My TV is a Samsung DLP 50A650.

I have also tried the various tricks found in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1351837 this thread on avsforum, incl. downgrading to driver version 2509, but nothing works.

It is strange Intel can't fix such a serious quality problem, which ATI, NVIDIA, Sonyhttp://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=293&type=2&ext=190673184840&item=190673184840 (PS3) and Microsofthttp://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=293&type=2&ext=170825419607&item=170825419607 (Xbox360) all nailed down years ago (by providing a working Full range option). I have had to use a discrete ATI card to get decent colors, while the otherwise high quality Intel GPU should be perfectly capable of providing this.

Win7 x64, latest Intel HD Graphics Driver 2696.

69 Replies
idata
Employee

Possibly the same issue:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

meh doesn't seem like they care, just a lesson for future go for AMD discrete GPU next time because they use multiplexers and allow you to actually force usage of a proper GPU, something you can't do on Intel/nVidia combo and iGPUs obviously suck.

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

That unfortunately seems to be the case - should be an easy fix, just not given any priority whatsoever

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Georgi wrote:

meh doesn't seem like they care,

......and iGPUs obviously suck.

I'll agree with the first part, since this issue has carried over to hd4000.

but the hd3000/4000 doesn't suck. As I posted in my other thread, the hd4000 can show all colors and deep black through the vga port.

Something gets lost in translation through the hdmi port.

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

Except for this ridiculous problem, it should be a very nice integrated GPU. I love Quicksync video, transcoding Blu-ray at 150 fps - unbeatable, and even with a discrete AMD card to get the colors right, fortunately can still use it via Lucid VIRTU technology.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The issue is also present on built-in laptop panels. VGA gives nice output, HDMI has issues as well.

I'd love to use my laptop for work, which is web design and development, but cannot because of color banding and dithering issues on 2 out of 3 outputs especially main one being included... And yes I had the same issue with iGPU 3 years ago on an old laptop (i5 1st gen), god bless ATi for using multiplexers and allowing to force the dGPU, boo on nVidia for not allowing that and on Intel for not having addressed the issue over 3 years, this is getting ridiculous.

They keep saying stuff like "its not our problem get drivers from your laptop manufacturer" as if we were 50 years old non-technical grannies, but hell, I've tried every driver out there, even edited the "non compatible" nVidia ones to see if that would work, didn't help at all. Still seeing banding and dithering artifacts, especially on blue/dark grey colors - this page header is a great example.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Georgi wrote:

The issue is also present on built-in laptop panels. VGA gives nice output, HDMI has issues as well.

They keep saying stuff like "its not our problem get drivers from your laptop manufacturer" as if we were 50 years old non-technical grannies, but hell, I've tried every driver out there, even edited the "non compatible" nVidia ones to see if that would work, didn't help at all. Still seeing banding and dithering artifacts, especially on blue/dark grey colors - this page header is a great example.

I don't have any issues with my built-in laptop display with the HD4000. Blacks are black, and there's no noticeable banding.

It's only HDMI output that shows all the problems.

The interest discovery I made today-

If you use an hdmi-dvi adapter and connect the laptop hdmi output to the external monitor dvi port, HD4000 shows the proper deep blacks and gradients. The Intel graphics control panel then sees my monitor as "Digital Display", and shows all the correct colors. My monitor has vga, dvi, and hdmi inputs.

vga output labeled/seen as "Monitor" = correct colors.

hdmi-to-dvi output seen as "Digital Display" = correct colors

direct hdmi-hdmi output seen as "Digital Television" = gray blacks and gradient banding.

So there's clearly something wrong with the Intel driver compatibility with "digital tv's".

"it's not our problem get drivers from mfgr" is what ticks me off the most, only because I am using Intel GENERIC drivers.

What a cop-out.

I'm tired of hearing from the Intel guys responding on this forum.

How the hell do we get this issue presented to the Intel engineering guys?

Where do we submit bug reports?

How does Intel mess up something this huge- HDMI output to TV's ? Everyone has a gadget with an hdmi port these days.

Just give me my blacks and my gradients as you do with the VGA and dvi output. A juggernaut like Intel can't figure this out after 3 years?

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Report Date: 9/30/2012

Report Time[hh:mm:ss]: 04:34:14

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2761

Operating System: Windows 7 Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)

Default Language: English (United States)

DirectX* Version: 11.0

Physical Memory: 8094 MB

Minimum Graphics Memory: 64 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory: 1696 MB

Graphics Memory in Use: 75 MB

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9

Processor Speed: 2294 MHz

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 0166

Device Revision: 09

* Processor Graphics Information *

Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Video BIOS: 2132.0

Current Graphics Mode: 1920 by 1080

* Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Digital Televisions: 1

Active Notebook Displays: 1

Non Active Monitors: 1

* Monitor *

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Display Typ...

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

"A juggernaut like Intel can't figure this out after 3 years?"

That's exactly the problem. I know from experience. There is no one in particular who feels responsible. If someone however feels like this needs to be fixed, it is not clear who this should be reported to. If someone does figure out a way to file it as a bug in the right database, it has to go through triage and reviews, and is likely to get downgraded as unimportant by someone who doesn't care or know any better. Then, if successfully triaged as important enough to fix, it has to pass layers and layers of QA before it eventually, if ever, gets released to the public.

A small company would have been able to fix this much quicker, and even provide early beta tests or reg keys for interested users.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After playing with this today, I think I might have a workaround to the RGB issue, assuming that your VGA output is also normal.

I used a 99-cent hdmi-dvi adapter bought from ebay, and connected the laptop hdmi to the monitor dvi port, and all the colors displayed properly.

Seems to me the Intel drivers don't like hardware labeled as "digital TV's"

It's worth a shot, with little money risk.

Of course, it still does not excuse Intel from providing a proper fix to this issue.

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

That's really odd. I already have mine connected through an A/V receiver, and I have tried connecting to the TV's DVI port without any difference. A straight HDMI-> DVI adapter should not change the digital signalling, but I have one and should try when I find time.

EDIT: I would not be able to use this, since I use HDMI for bitstreaming audio to A/V receiver.

Message was edited by: Karl

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Lillevold wrote:

EDIT: I would not be able to use this, since I use HDMI for bitstreaming audio to A/V receiver.

yes exactly. that's why Intel needs to come out with a proper fix to this issue.

In my case, I am able to at least display digital video from hdmi output to dvi input. But audio obviously won't work.

I don't know how your case would work.

There's something wonky about the Intel drivers when plugged into what it thinks is a "digital TV".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any progress on the RGB levels issue? HD 4000 works great except for this.

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

Has anyone ventured to install 9.17.10.2932 and checked if this problem has been corrected?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

9.17.10.2932 does not correct the issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LOL. Yes, it happens on 2932.

You guys do have a test team to cover your GPU drivers. Right?

Do this:

1) Add an option on the TV settings page called "Enable Full Range RGB on HDMI" with a checkbox. When checked, pass full range over HDMI without scaling levels; essentially treating hdmi exactly like DVI or Analog RGB.

2) fix the bug where the driver ignores DXVA Nominal Range settings.

This is not rocket science folks. Seriously.

Until this is fixed, my sweet Atechfabrication enclosed MCE rig is a door stop and I'll continue on with nvidia.

Ian Kennedy

(former) test lead, Windows Media Center A/V Pipeline

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Thanks for providing all of the information and feedback on this issue. We are investigating the issue and will post updates as we have new information.

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

Robert_U: Thank you for taking the time to follow up on this!

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

I see there's a new driver available: 15.28.7.64.2867

Has anyone had a chance to try if full RGB works in this? Probably not, since there has been no feedback here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for mentioning this! Both Intel and Dell seem to have released a ton of updates last month. I will update my BIOS and try all the new drivers and post a status update today.

UPDATE

The new Intel drivers do not resolve the issue. Still getting banding with gradients and dithering on grays.

Here is an example: http://file.pandasauce.org/hidden/20121031_104502.jpg http://file.pandasauce.org/hidden/20121031_104502.jpg (the gradient that represents light from screen)

The A10 BIOS for my Inspiron 5720 does not resolve the issue. The system starts up a lot faster now though so go and grab an update if you have the same laptop

0 Kudos
KLill2
Novice

Thanks for the update, Georgi! Then I don't have to pull out my ATI card to test myself.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Finally! Took 3 years, but they have finally at least noticed the issue

0 Kudos