Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20637 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Sandy bridge) Windows 10 Graphics Driver support?

nkef
Novice

According to http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems there is no support of Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Windows 10.

When the support for Windows 10 for Intel HD Graphics 3000 will arrive?

Will be the new WDDM 2.0 driver model be supported for Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Windows 10?

Thanks,

nkef

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Please check Windows Update. It is included in the Control Panel in Windows. To check for updates: Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

There is an inbox Graphics driver which has been provided to Microsoft* to enable Windows 10* for 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000/etc. (Sandy Bridge). If your computer is capable, Windows Update should update the Graphics driver. No further Intel Graphics drivers will be provided for Sandy Bridge.

Edit details: fixed trademarking errors and eliminated acronyms that not all users could understand (e.g. WU = Windows Update, SNB = SandyBridge).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
135 Replies
BJohn24
Beginner

I'm not sure which is more insulting. Intel's cost based refusal to stand behind their equipment, or giving this forum a PR person with no people skills. I think the problem is that Intel doesn't view us as their customers. After all, real customers buy millions of chips, like Dell and Asus. But keep in mind guys, we'll all soon be buying new laptops, especially in light of these problems. And when we're looking at two almost identical laptops, one with Intel chips and one with AMD chips, and the AMD is actually $50 less........

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Allan.

0 Kudos
PBake1
Beginner

I don't think the Intel answer is going to change but I have to say, releasing a Beta Driver and then not giving clear reasons why it was pulled is a poor show. This also shows poor coordination between Dell/Intel/Microsoft as I was told my PC was compatible... Peter

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried all windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. I have intel 2nd generation i5 (2520 pro) with sandy bridge and Intel HD 3000 graphics (wddm 1.2). My laptop is lenovo T420 4236B87

Windows 10 graphics driver do not perform in 2d and 3d test. Windows 10 is a wddm 2.0

Windows 8.1 does not perform in 2d tests (3d tests actually is as good as windows 8). Windows 8.1 is a wddm 1.3

Windows 7 and 8 perform about the same in both 2d and 3d tests because intel HD 3000 is a wddm 1.2 version and windows 7 and 8.0 support wddm 1.2.

For the above reasons I would not upgrade windows above 8.0 if you have an intel HD 3000 graphics card.

Windows 8.1 works but it is a bit slower than windows 8.0 in normal 2d applications.

The tests performed were made with passmark performance test application and windows experience index score.

Windows performance index under windows 8 is:

Desktrop graphics performance 5.8

3D business and gaming graphics performance 6.3

in Windows 8.1 (I performed the performance index test in dos).

Desktrop graphics performance 4.9

3D business and gaming graphics performance: 6.3

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

I am shocked what bad support Intel is offering for my two year old laptop with Sandy Bridge and a WIN8 sticker on the back.

I lost hours on the first update to Win10 - not knowning or even no Info from intel, that this laptop is not supported anymore. Acer removed the laptop quietly from the Win10 support list, after the release of Win10.

But what is even more shocking to me that yesterday I gave it another shot with the Display drivers from http://leshcatlabs.net/ leshcatlabs.net - Keeping it Simple. Ads free.

I did not have the combination with the amd, my laptop features a Nvidia graphic chip in addition to the HD3000, so I did not expect much.

I installed this driver http://leshcatlabs.net/ leshcatlabs.net - Keeping it Simple. Ads free. after installing Windows 10, and wow everything works more smooth than before, the computer is faster and it does not get hot anymore. I only installed the HD3000 driver manually.

So Intel should be ashamed of this support and the nightmare you caused to a lot of people. You should pay or even employ http://leshcatlabs.net/ leshcatlabs.net - Keeping it Simple. Ads free. !

Please other users if you experience the same as me, think about donating to http://leshcatlabs.net/ leshcatlabs.net - Keeping it Simple. Ads free. . thx.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Still windows 8 is much better with intel hd 3000 graphics card. Remember both windows 8 and intel hd 3000 graphics have wddm 1.2 support.

Try passmark performance test under windows 10 and compare the 2d and 3d graphics benchmarks with your laptop model no. having windows 8.0 and you will get an approximation of the percentage underperformance of your graphics under windows 10..

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

thx palmiris, for pointing that out.

for me there is no need for a generic perfomance passmark or somehting like that. All I can say, that the laptop is now working better, than the previous W8.1, everything runs smoother and it stays cooler.

Video Playback in full 1080P HD is also smooth. (netflix FullHD processor is around 8% - so wow)

If this is important for some high end games, it does not bother me because I do not play games with this laptop. It is much more important to have the same operating system on all my computers.

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

initially I had windows 7

when I upgraded to windows 10, I had drivers issues

1. camera app was not working

2. graphic test performance issues

3 wireless display was not working

when I installed windows 8.1

I had 2d performance issues only

when I installed windows 8.0

I had no issues.

I am happy that you have found a compatible driver under windows 10.

0 Kudos
LCruc
Novice

This allan_intel guy is a real person, or just a bot that's supposed to thank us for our comments and opinions...?

I mean, really, this is all Intel can do? It seems like this guy, and probably Intell tooo, doesn't care about us...

I've bouth a $1500 laptop so that Intel and Dell can tell me now I have an old piece? 4 years is too old for you Intel/Dell ???

Good work Intel !!!

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

in that case I have to defend Intel, at least they do not delete all the posts they don't like.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Post # 5 provides an official statement from Intel. Again, the link below will give you information about supported operating system for your Graphics controller:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I still don't understand why Intel has stopped driver development of Intel HD 3000 graphics driver.

windows 10 is wddm 2.0

windows 8.1 is wddm1.3.

windows 8.0 is wddm 1.2

Intel HD 3000 is wddm 1.2

in addition windows 8.1 performance is handicapped with Intel hd 3000 1.2 wddm in comparison with windows 8.0.

could you please explain why you have stopped supporting Intel HD 3000 driver development since windows 8.0?????

Thanks for your reply. Hope you are a real person with a customer satisfaction attitude.

We need both wddm 1.3 and wddm 2.0 drivers for both windows 8.1 and 10 respectively.

It is less than 5 years old product and intel should support intel hd 3000 graphics with drivers for newer windows products that work in conjunction with new windows specifications without performance degradation.

0 Kudos
LCruc
Novice

no, really. somebody should disable allan. it's broken.

so, instead of giving us some answers about why intel dropped support for a 4 years old graphics card... you're thanking us and point us to that crappy list? this is all you've done so far in this thread... so, please, stop it. go to your upper manangement, get some answers and share them with us.

keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Here is another website with official information about the support for Windows® 10: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-035705.htm Processors — Intel® Processor Support for Windows® 10

Allan.

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

@livescu your fault you encouraged him.. or it. keep up the good work > Here is another website with official information about the support for ...

0 Kudos
LCruc
Novice

yeap, I don't know if I should laugh or scream.

@allan: it seems that in 5 pages you didn't understand the subject of this topic. you're obsolete ... go get an update.

WE KNOW INTEL DOESN'T SUPPORT THIS GRAPHICS CARD, THERE IS NO NEED TO REMIND US EVERY 3-4-5 POSTS.... WE WANT TO KNOW WHYYYYY? WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THAT... ?

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

with the bot you might be right, but it is not so well programmed...

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

I understand the frustrations, though with that I'll be upfront and say I probably don't have an answer for you that you'll like. I only have the general caption we pass on to users... the dreaded, 'it's not supported' message. Please don't pick on our robot Sry Allan... you do kinda sound like a robot here.

At the risk of saying too much I'll tell ya how it is, with some personal thoughts included though.

As a consumer just like you, who spends money on products and also has to deal with support running out them... PC's, laptops, tablet's, cell phones, cars, and a myriad of other things that I also have to replace from time to time. And NO, I don't get these things any cheaper than you, and sure as heck not free.

So here goes, if you're somewhat understanding of what it takes, what all goes into maintaining just one driver branch, the validation, development, build, maintenance, and all the other work and resources & people that go into driver management to not only match up with the specific chipset, but generations prior or ahead and all the functions and features each of those carry, hopefully you can begin to understand that on a level of support for all the Intel products it's difficult to support them all forever more. I don't know any company that could afford to do that with the amount of new innovation required at the same time. I know, 4-5 years doesn't seem like much, though it's still considerable for a PC and while you enjoyed the cutting edge thrill that was once an Intel HD 3000 aka Sandybridge when it came out, users today will equally be enjoying their cutting edge Skylakes. And what drives technology business but advancements and providing the new technologies that make for faster, easier, and more connected lives? Ultimately I bet most companies would love to support all their products into the ground, but at some point, it requires a decision what to let go of to bring in the next breakthrough.

So timelines... when companies purchase laptops for their employees to use, they budget their equipment generally on a 2-3 year replacement schedule, Android phones and tablets are only supported 1-2 years for OS updates. I spent ~$500 on a Galaxy Tab that became obsolete just a little over a year later, which was really upsetting when I wanted KitKat and was told they'd never support it. Further, hardware warranties on most products out there are typically only valid for one year without requiring extra money to extend. All this is to say eventually things need to be replaced, money spent on newer things, so companies can stay in business to further develop the next best thing... or a whole slew of them like Intel is coming out with like ComputeSticks, NUC's, wearables, IoT, realSense, etc. It's exciting times.

And regarding the 'well MSFT says it's supported by their minimum requirements', they also say on that same page that just because it meets MSFT's min. requirements, doesn't mean it's supported. It's up to the other manufacturers. People are dusting off their 6 and 7 year products saying the same thing, sry, but probably not going to work.

You all certainly aren't blocked from upgrading to the latest OS, not by Intel at least. But we're not able to send it through all the process to ensure it works properly for you. You have the OS it's built for, you'll have to either stick with that or upgrade at your own discretion knowing issues may be present with no plans to fix them. Or you could always get a new Skylake which works terrific on the new OS.

0 Kudos
RMaco
Novice

Sorry Allan for mocking you, hope you are not angry. Thank you for the open discussion.

Anyway my Laptop is not even 3 years old, it has a Windows 8 Sticker on the back. The support was dropped much earlier, because there where no Windows 8.1/64bit native drivers only some legacy whatever that means. So it was dropped after 6 Month (Oct 2013), or even earlier. Bought the laptop in April 2013. Why you point out the problems with Android, I do not understand, because this is not to be expected from PC hardware. All I can say is that Intel disappointed me and I will think twice in the future before buying or recomending Intel, but I will tell anyone my expierence.

An even bigger issue was the time I lost because of the not working update, it took about 6-8 hours to get my system running and stable again, this is also on Intel!