Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20637 Discussions

Intel i5 6600 530 graphics flicker w/ B150M-D3H

idata
Employee

I am using a 6600 processor via the B150M-D3H for my graphics, this is a very common bundle, so I imagine others will have this issue too.

Windows 7 x64, Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz

As the B150M-D3H only supports my second monitors native resolution of 2560x1600 @60p Hz via HDMI I am forced to use this.

My first monitor is 1600x900 via VGA.

When I first attached the second monitor the screen blanked out and told me I was not achieving the required signal strength.

I went out and bought a "high speed" HDMI 1.4 cable, but despite it being sold as this I was later told it wasn't, (when I bought the non working cable back) I then got a HDMI 2.0 4K capable cable.

The HDMI 2.0 cable works for the most part. The screen doesn't black out and I don't have thousands of red flashing pixels as I did with other cables.

However I still have very hard to see, but distracting little flashing lines that seem to occur on the edges of boxes that are Aero transparent. They are about 1-2cm long, and are white as far as I can tell.

I also fail http://www.testufo.com/# test=frameskipping this test.

I feel very strongly that the issue is cable related.

I used to run the monitor fine on my old AMD motherboard via DVI-D at full 1600, but the B150M-D3H runs it at 1080.

I flashed the BIOS to the most recent F6.

I installed the lastest driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]. (before doing this I had a couple of random display adapter crashes)

I installed the latest monitor drivers for both monitors.

I am wondering if an HDMI to DVI-D cable adapter for the monitor end will make a difference, but I don't see why it would, and I'm not sure of HDMI 2.0 compatibility.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

I thought I would give a new cable a try before leaving my computer in the shop again and that has fixed it.

The Dynamix 4K cable is simply not good enough for this budget setup. It is however fine when using a good graphics card.

Bought an Accell ProUltra Supreme cable (good quality, but not ridiculously expensive) and flashing lines are gone.

However there were issues with graphics crashes and flashing screens.

More on this:

I installed the beta driver recommended earlier in this thread before I took it to the shop. The shop installed Intel driver update to update the driver, which installed a really old one. Windows update then updated to a newer one, which is still older than the beta. The crashes occurred until I reinstalled the beta driver. Now all is well.

So, from this I must deduce that Intel 530 graphics are incredibly fussy about the HDMI cable, and that only high quality HDMI 2.0 cables will work with large (in this case 30") high resolution monitors.

The latest beta driver is also required for trouble free operation.

The lower quality cable was able to drive the monitor fine on the same MB using an Asus 7770.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
idata
Employee

Just got the PC back. Service replaced the motherboard, though they couldn't replicate the issue as they didn't have a large 2K monitor to test with.

Issue is not fixed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2sWKNJasGCHUG9TUHNmTk9kNzQ/view?usp=sharing VID_20160801_161245.3gp - Google Drive

Looks like I will have to take it back with my monitor as well and wait even longer to resolve the issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Gareth_O:

I am sorry to hear that the issue is still happening.

From our side, basically you tried all the troubleshoot steps that are recommended, and I just wanted to let you know that, if after they do the tests with your monitor the problem remains, the option to replace the processor will still be available for you, or if there is a PC repair store close to you, they might be able to test it with a different processor, just to rule out a possible processor problem.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I thought I would give a new cable a try before leaving my computer in the shop again and that has fixed it.

The Dynamix 4K cable is simply not good enough for this budget setup. It is however fine when using a good graphics card.

Bought an Accell ProUltra Supreme cable (good quality, but not ridiculously expensive) and flashing lines are gone.

However there were issues with graphics crashes and flashing screens.

More on this:

I installed the beta driver recommended earlier in this thread before I took it to the shop. The shop installed Intel driver update to update the driver, which installed a really old one. Windows update then updated to a newer one, which is still older than the beta. The crashes occurred until I reinstalled the beta driver. Now all is well.

So, from this I must deduce that Intel 530 graphics are incredibly fussy about the HDMI cable, and that only high quality HDMI 2.0 cables will work with large (in this case 30") high resolution monitors.

The latest beta driver is also required for trouble free operation.

The lower quality cable was able to drive the monitor fine on the same MB using an Asus 7770.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Gareth_O:

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the PC is finally working fine for you.

In regard to the HDMI cable, we always recommend to use a high quality cable, the thing is that some of them are advertised as high quality and they are not that good for some system configurations.

Thank you very much also for letting us know that the Beta driver worked for you, and the issue was fixed.

Any further assistance, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am still having intermittent issues with the monitor flashing. It is resolved after a reboot.

I am not entirely happy with the performance of 530 graphics with my large monitor, but really don't want to spend more money.

Is the driver still being developed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Gareth_O:

I am sorry to hear that there are still some issues with the PC.

In regard to your inquiry, the latest driver available for Intel® HD graphics 530 controller is the beta driver 4474, that we already tried.

There is no official information from Intel yet, stating that there will be additions to that driver, or if a new driver will be developed for Intel® HD graphics 530 controller, let me apologize for that.

In order to check for updates, you can always visit our download page, in order to look for new drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Alberto
0 Kudos