Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

ZR2740w on HD 4400 resolution problems

AElki1
Beginner

I have an HP ZR2740w monitor that uses either DisplayPort or Dual-Link DVI and runs at either 1280x720 at 60HZ, or 2560x1440 at 60Hz. On my old computer with an Nvidia card, I was able to use the Dual-Link DVI to run at 2560x1440. I have an HP laptop with a Displayport connector, and it runs the display at full resolution as well. However, I just picked up an HP Pavilion 500-223W, which uses the Intel HD 4600 with its i3 processor, and does not have a Displayport connector. Using the DVI port, I can only get 1280x720, despite using the same cable as on the old computer. It seems that there is a driver issue somewhere. In the driver software there is an option to list all modes, and it shows both modes as being available. However, when I go to set the resolution, only 1280x720 is listed. If I attempt to set a custom resolution, I get the error that the resolution specified 'exceeds the available bandwidth'.

This has been a problem in the past for both NVidia and ATI, and both companies now have drivers that fully support the monitor. Where can I find a driver that will display correctly on this monitor? I have the problem in Windows 7 Home 64-bit, Windows 8.1, and Xubuntu linux 14.04.

In Xubuntu, this is what I show for a driver:

arnie@arniedevx:~$ sudo lshw -c video

*-display

description: VGA compatible controller

product: Intel Corporation

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 2

bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0

version: 06

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

resources: irq:46 memory:f7800000-f7bfffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64)

It comes from this file:

pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.910-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

In Windows, I am running the latest BETA driver:

Is there a fix for this that will allow the Intel HD 4400 in the latest i3 to run the ZR2740W all full resolution? NVidia and ATI had problem initially, but they figured it out and fixed their drivers. Do I have to buy a new video card?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello ArnieElkins, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

Based on the information provided, these are the maximum Display Resolution supported by the HD44000 https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics Quick Reference Guide to 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics (formerly codenamed Haswell) | Intel® Developer …

The graphics controller in your computer supports higher resolutions than the one you are trying to achieve. As an example, it can go up to 2560x 1440 when using Display port but this depends on the monitor supported resolutions and the limitations set by the computer manufacturer.

I recommend you to please get in touch with your system manufacture or try the graphics drivers provided by them.

0 Kudos
AElki1
Beginner

Apparently Intel does not support dual-link DVI. I found a computer with a previous generation of the Intel video, but with a DisplayPort connector, and when I plugged it in, it worked perfectly with the monitor. I saw a message somewhere indicating that Intel does not support dual-link DVI in their video chipsets. There seem to be an awful lot of monitors coming out that require dual-link to reach their maximum resolution. It is sad that I cannot use the built-in video card with any of those. Since this computer was not equipped with a DisplayPort, and my monitor supports only very specific resolution/refresh combinations, the only workable solution for that machine is a new video card.

0 Kudos