Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Can't debug static lib compiled with ICC under VS2008 correctly.

r4dium
Beginner

I don't know if this is an ICC issue, however.....

I have an ICC "Display" project in my solution which basically produces a static "Display.lib"

In "Display" I have several classes.

On some methods of this classes setting breakpoints in VS2008 works (gets fired) on

some it doesn't (famous 'The breakpoint will not currently be hit' VS message).

I use my Display.lib from another "Windows32".dll project (compiled with VC not ICC).

So Display.lib gets statically linked to Windows32.dll .

When I go under Debug->Windows->Modules I can see that pdb symbls have been loaded for Windows32.dll.

Classes in Windows32.dll can be debugged fine.

How can I fully debug my static lib from within VS2008?

Regards

R4DIUM

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - r4dium

On some methods of this classes setting breakpoints in VS2008 works (gets fired) on

I'm guessing you have built this library with normal optimzations, including function in-lining. For ease of debugging, you might disable it, by something like /Qip-

0 Kudos
r4dium
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Quoting - r4dium

I'm guessing you have built this library with normal optimzations, including function in-lining. For ease of debugging, you might disable it, by something like /Qip-

I went in the properties of the static lib project.

Optimizations are disabled,

InlineFunctionExpansion: Default,

Enable Intrinsic Functions: No

Moreover it seems that I can debug all methods of the static lib which get called by the dll directly.

Adding /Qipto compiler comand line didn't make any difference.

I converted the project back to a VC9 project and now I can debug the static .dll .
The only difference in settings is, that the .lib file now gets placed into the same folder as the .dll file.
When compiling with ICC this wasn't the case, instead I told the dll-linker where to find the .lib file.
But this can't be the cause, right?

Is this .lib-debugging a known constraint when using Intel Compiler with VS2008?

These are the steps taken when trying to solve the problem when using the Intel compiler:

A.) Deletion of all Bin and Obj files/directories + a solution clean + restarting IDE + rebuilding
B.) Told where to find source files more specifically via Solution->Properties->Debug Source Files
C.) When debugging, Debug->Windows->Modules shows the dll using the lib with all symbols loaded normally, also the dll-pdb file gets listed here correctly, more specifically I am even able to locate the symbols of the methods where the breakpoints fail.
D.) I am debugging in (surprise!) DEBUG configuration (and not release)
E.) The properties in dll project show "Generate Debug Info: YES" under linker and "Debug Information Format: PD for Edit and Continue" in compiler settings, the latter is also the case for the lib. project.
F.) Optimizations are off

I would be very grateful for any hint which allows me to use the Intel Compiler for this .lib project while maintaining debugging.

Regards

R4DIUM

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Location of the library shouldn't have anything to do with the (in)ability to debug.

On the other hand, certain optimizations can prevent debugging when enabled:

1. /Oy

2. /Qip-

There are perhaps some others I can't remember at the moment so it would be wise to check the command line options reference. If after testing you determine that it is impossible to debug please file a reproducible test case to Intel Premier Support.

0 Kudos