Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Continuing problems with OpenMP and RedHat 9

Deleted_U_Intel
Employee
I have just started working with the Intel Compiler on Linux, which I'm using specifically for its OpenMP support. My original program would segfault immediately, so I wrote a Hello World program just to mess with the compilation. It, too, segfaulted, so I set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 as it says in the release notes. Unfortunately, even after doing this, my Hello World program still segfaulted.

Here's the backtrace from running GDB on the newly compiled, still segfaulting program:
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0019e7b7 in memset () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1 0x00000004 in ?? ()
#2 0x001d996d in sched_getaffinity@@GLIBC_2.3.4 () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#3 0x00000000 in ?? ()

It's linking against the i686 libc, so at least it's not trying to use the NPTL libraries (which, if I recall correctly, are in /lib/tls), but it's still segfaulting. Granted, the release notes say that the workaround will only work in some cases, but given that I'm not actually doing any parallel work in my program (I simply include stdio.h and omp.h and then print out "Hello World"), it seems that this is a situation where the workaround should work.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you're just starting out on a project, youmight consider a supported OS, although RH8 could be easier to work with than RH9. Intel compilers did continue to fix a few problems in running with RH9, up to and beyondthe time when RH EL3 became available. So, please make sure you have got a recent compiler version from premier.intel.com. Myunderstanding is that the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL option is an attempt to support building an application to run against a wider range of kernels, not so much a feature to enable RH9 to work.
0 Kudos