Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

catastrophic error: cannot open source file "cxxabi.h"

SMpay
Beginner

Hello,

With macOS 13.2.1, Xcode 14.3, and OneAP 2023.1 I get the following error during compilation:

catastrophic error: cannot open source file "cxxabi.h"

I did not get this error before updating Xcode and OneAPI.

I appreciate it if you could help me find why this is happening.

I know that different versions of this file exist in subdirectories of "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/" but I don't understand why the Intel compiler cannot find them anymore.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VaishnaviV_Intel

Hi,

We apologize for creating the confusion, in the previous post we have mentioned that support for Xcode 14.2 in the documentation is provided.

But, The C++ compiler (ICC) integration with the Compiler IDE on macOS only works with Xcode versions up to 13.4. It doesn't work with Xcode 14(not tested) and later because Xcode 14 removed the "Legacy Build System" that our integration relies on. Therefore, we can't provide support for Xcode 14.3.

As for the Fortran compiler (IFORT) on macOS , it doesn't directly integrate with Xcode. However, it can still work with the command line tools of Xcode 14.

So, We will update the document accordingly.

And, Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit for macOS on x86 is now deprecated and will be discontinued in the 2024.0 release.

If this answers your question, please let us know if we can close this thread.

Thanks and regards,

Vankudothu Vaishnavi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
VaishnaviV_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting on Intel communities.

According to Intel® Compilers Compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio* and Xcode*, MacOS 13.2.1, Xcode 14.3 are not supported.

So, Please try using supported versions and let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks & Regards,

Vankudothu Vaishnavi.

0 Kudos
SMpay
Beginner

Dear Vankudothu;

Thanks for your information.

According to this page, there is no sub-version for MacOS 13.

Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit System Requirements

May I know if there are any plans to extend the support for Xcode 14.3 for future release of OneApi?

0 Kudos
VaishnaviV_Intel

Hi,

We apologize for creating the confusion, in the previous post we have mentioned that support for Xcode 14.2 in the documentation is provided.

But, The C++ compiler (ICC) integration with the Compiler IDE on macOS only works with Xcode versions up to 13.4. It doesn't work with Xcode 14(not tested) and later because Xcode 14 removed the "Legacy Build System" that our integration relies on. Therefore, we can't provide support for Xcode 14.3.

As for the Fortran compiler (IFORT) on macOS , it doesn't directly integrate with Xcode. However, it can still work with the command line tools of Xcode 14.

So, We will update the document accordingly.

And, Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit for macOS on x86 is now deprecated and will be discontinued in the 2024.0 release.

Thanks and regards,

Vankudothu Vaishnavi.

0 Kudos
SMpay
Beginner

Dear Vankudothu,

Thanks for the clarification.

May I know if it there will be any upcoming Intel C++ compiler that allows compilation on MacOS 13.x.x regardless of integration with the Xcode?

0 Kudos
VaishnaviV_Intel

Hi,

You can use the ICC (Intel Classic C++ Compiler) on macOS, including macOS 13, using the command line or with Xcode (up to Xcode 13.4). However, the ICX (Intel C++ Compiler) is not supported on macOS.

Thank you,

Vankudothu Vaishnavi.

0 Kudos
VaishnaviV_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you.

Has the information provided above helped? If yes, could you please confirm whether we can close this thread from our end?

Thanks & Regards,

Vankudothu Vaishnavi.

0 Kudos
SMpay
Beginner

Hi Vankudothu;

I tried to accept the solution but I got authentication failed error for some reason.

I tried again today and it worked. 

0 Kudos
VaishnaviV_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Thanks & Regards,

Vankudothu Vaishnavi.

0 Kudos