Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

icc v8.1 EMT64: possible to produce IA32 code?

cdk
Beginner
I have been working with icc version 8.1 without realizing that it is the optional Extended Memory 64 (EMT64) version which is intended to target x86-64 architectures. I can't seem to find a separate icc executable that targets IA32 and I have searched the documentation extensively to find a switch/method that targets IA32 without avail.

Is it possilbe to produce a code for a IA32 target (Pentium 4 with 32-bit address space) usint icc v8.1 EMT64??

The exact version appears to be 8.1.022 and I am working on a Pentium 4 machine under Suse Linux 9.1

Cheers,
Chris Kauffman
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cdk
Beginner
One additional note: the compiler -help option and release notes mention that there is an '-auto_ilp32' option which will limit the address space to 32 bits. This does not produce a 32-bit objectfile (at least according to the magic bits of the object files).
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
The EM64T compilericc won't generate 32-bit binary. The classic 32-bit compiler icc compiler will.
In 8.1 version, those two compilers are packaged in their own package. So you'll need to download seperately. The package name for EM64T contains _cce_8.1.xxx, the package name for IA32 contains _cc_8.1.xxx.
Jennifer
0 Kudos