Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

where to see the debug information by oneapi

stoneBlack
Beginner

Hi,

from here ,  i can see that "-debug inline-debug-info"  will  tell us the debug information, But i see nothing ,no  terminal output ,no files like temp.txt

My commands:

icpx -debug inline-debug-info -g -O3 demo-test.cpp

icpx -debug all -g -O3 demo-test.cpp

$:demo-test$ icpx --version
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler 2023.1.0 (2023.1.0.20230320)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.1.0/linux/bin-llvm
Configuration file: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.1.0/linux/bin-llvm/../bin/icpx.cfg

please tell me what should i do to get the debug information out.

Great Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Scofeild618
Beginner

To capture debug information using the Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler, you can follow these steps:

1. **Check Compiler Version:**
Ensure that you are using a version of the compiler that supports the debug options. In your case, you are using Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler version 2023.1.0, which is up to date.

```bash
icpx --version
```

2. **Debug Information Flags:**
Use the appropriate debug information flags when compiling your code. In your case, you've used the `-debug inline-debug-info` flag, which should generate inline debug information.

```bash
```

3. **Output Location:**
By default, debug information is often embedded in the executable or object file. However, you may not see separate files like `temp.txt` or terminal output when using the inline debug info option.

4. **Verify Debug Information:**
To verify if debug information is present, you can use tools like `readelf` or `objdump`. For example:

```bash
readelf -wi demo-test
```

This command will display debugging information in the ELF file.

```bash
objdump -S demo-test
```

This command will display source code intermixed with the assembly.

If you are still facing issues, consider using `-debug all` for more comprehensive debug information:

```bash
```

Remember that the availability and format of debug information can depend on the optimization level and other factors. If you encounter difficulties, consulting the Intel oneAPI documentation or community forums for specific guidance may be beneficial.

Certainly! Here's the modified line with the link:

Explore innovative web design and development solutions tailored to your needs at https://seatechinnovations.net/. Elevate your online presence with our expert team at the forefront of digital creativity and technology.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

The debug flag is used to enable or disable the generation of debugging information.

When you compile a program with debug flag enabled, it includes debugging information in the executable. You can debug the applications using Intel Distribution for GDB(gdb-oneapi).

Please refer to the below links for more information.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/distribution-for-gdb/get-started-guide-linux/2024-0/overview.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/distribution-for-gdb/tutorial-debugging-dpcpp-linux/2024-0/overview.html

Please let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos
stoneBlack
Beginner

Thanks  @SeshaP_Intel 

I think i made a mistake with  debug information included in the executable and debug information of the compiler.

what i want to see is the debug information of the compiler, what oneapi has done to my function:

for example:

1. Does this function been inlined
  2. Does this loop been  vectorized

Finally ,i find that i can do this by “qopt-report-file”:

icpx  -O3 -flto  -ipo -qopt-report-file=stdout demo-test.cpp

if you have more detailed information that i can see by any other compiler option, please tell me

HAPPY SANTAAAAA!

0 Kudos
Jie_L_Intel
Employee

The debug information is to be used by debug tools or vtune. They are not readable by human being.

0 Kudos
Scofeild618
Beginner

To capture debug information using the Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler, you can follow these steps:

1. **Check Compiler Version:**
Ensure that you are using a version of the compiler that supports the debug options. In your case, you are using Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler version 2023.1.0, which is up to date.

```bash
icpx --version
```

2. **Debug Information Flags:**
Use the appropriate debug information flags when compiling your code. In your case, you've used the `-debug inline-debug-info` flag, which should generate inline debug information.

```bash
```

3. **Output Location:**
By default, debug information is often embedded in the executable or object file. However, you may not see separate files like `temp.txt` or terminal output when using the inline debug info option.

4. **Verify Debug Information:**
To verify if debug information is present, you can use tools like `readelf` or `objdump`. For example:

```bash
readelf -wi demo-test
```

This command will display debugging information in the ELF file.

```bash
objdump -S demo-test
```

This command will display source code intermixed with the assembly.

If you are still facing issues, consider using `-debug all` for more comprehensive debug information:

```bash
```

Remember that the availability and format of debug information can depend on the optimization level and other factors. If you encounter difficulties, consulting the Intel oneAPI documentation or community forums for specific guidance may be beneficial.

Certainly! Here's the modified line with the link:

Explore innovative web design and development solutions tailored to your needs at https://seatechinnovations.net/. Elevate your online presence with our expert team at the forefront of digital creativity and technology.

jack5253
Beginner
0 Kudos
stoneBlack
Beginner

Great thanks to all of you!

i have figured it out not only the debug info of the executable but the debug info of the compiler. So this question will be closed.

Again , Thanks!

0 Kudos
john533
Beginner

To access debug information in oneAPI, compile your code with the  flag to include debugging symbols. Use the oneAPI command-line debugger, , by running your executable with  as follows: . You can set breakpoints, inspect variables, and navigate your code for debugging purposes. Depending on your toolkit version, there may also be a graphical debugger interface. Check the oneAPI documentation for specific instructions tailored to your toolkit and version.

0 Kudos
john533
Beginner

For debugging with oneAPI, you can explore the generated log files and console output. The oneAPI tools, such as Intel Advisor or Intel VTune Profiler, often produce detailed logs during execution. Additionally, check the console or terminal where you run your oneAPI application for real-time debug information. Adjusting the verbosity level in tool settings or utilizing specific debugging flags can enhance the amount of information provided. Consult the documentation of the specific oneAPI tool you're using for detailed instructions on accessing and interpreting debug information.

0 Kudos