Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1155 Discussions

Unable to checkout Questa License error on Linux

Bongiovanni_Emanuele

Hi
I'm having trouble getting Questa Sim to checkout the license;

i downloaded and installed QuestaSim, requested a license through the auto-licensing
i have read of some previus issue with the generated license, i had a look at mine end it seems to be in the correct format; also this problem is occurring since a couple of week, and today i again asked for a new license, downloaded it, but still the same error occurs;
I have set the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable as:
LM_LICENSE_FILE=/home/user_name/intelFPGA/LR-125208_License.dat

which is the path where the license.dat is saved
then, i go to ...intelFPGA/22.1std/questa_fe/bin and ./vsim
after that, i get this error:

Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE)
is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.
Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.
** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

it's been long since i'm trying to have questaSim work, i sincerely don't know what to do

thanks for any help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. To narrow down this issue, can you please provide me the latest of the following?

1) .log file

2) Machine OS information

3) Questa license.dat file

You can also reply/attach your file in private message.

0 Kudos
Bongiovanni_Emanuele

Hi, thanks for the reply

Os information:
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Kernel: Linux 5.19.0-43-generic
Architecture: x86-64
Hardware Vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Hardware Model: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X510QA_A510QA

The OS is Xubuntu

I have attached both the .log and the license ( note that i made the license .dat.txt because the tool for the attachment couldn't handle a .dat; of course in my pc the extension is simply .dat)

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Based on my understanding, Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS version is not an officially support OS for Questa starter edition. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/design-software/os-support.html?wapkw=operating%20system%20support

An unsupported platform means that some things may work, but others not, and we won't put any resources into debugging or diagnosing. We recommended to use the right OS for Questa.

0 Kudos
robinr
Beginner

I have a similiar error but i am on AlmaLinux (which is 1:1 binary compatible with RHEL) i have everything working except simulation

0 Kudos
robinr
Beginner

two nic IDtwo nic IDi have two network interface's which may be the reason.. im not sure, but that was a problem when trying to generate a license.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi @robinr

Thanks for input. I guess the variation in the operating system build and the unsupported platform can lead to certain functionalities working, while others may not be compatible or functional. For Questa, we strongly advise using the appropriate operating system.

I will now transition this thread to community support. If have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos