Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

Calling a Fortran DLL in a Fortran poject

Dave12
Novice

Hello everyone,

I am writing a Fortran program using Visual Studio and the ifort compiler. I would now like to use a DLL that has been made available to me. This was also written in Fortran. I already had a similar problem with a DLL written in C++, which was solved here (https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/Integrate-C-DLL-in-Fortran-Code/m-p/1410919#M162620). Of course, this solution no longer works if it is not a C++ DLL.
Unfortunately, I only find suggestions on how Fortran DLLs can be used in other programming languages. What I have found are approaches like:

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLIMPORT :: libdiscon
      !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES C, ALIAS:'DISCON' :: DISCON

call DISCON(SWAP, Fail, infile, outname, msg )

The DLL I want to use is called libdiscon.dll. It contains the subroutine DISCON(), which I would like to access. I have placed libdiscon.dll in the debug folder of Visual Studio.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

Best regards

0 Kudos
44 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

If this crashes, then this points bask to an argument error or code between the load dll and call corrupted the dll.

Jim:

I have been following along, I wish I was this good, but anyway, what was the word you meant above at bask, is it back?  

John

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Yes, back. A typographical error on my part. Euphemistically a bug in the instructions.

Spellchecker didn't catch this, perhaps a grammar checker would have caught this.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Dave12
Novice

Hello together,

to ensure the error was not caused by a damaged DLL, as you also supposed, I replaced it with another one that I furtunately found. Now I finally receive messages from the controller code. Nevertheless, the proposed debugging options will certainly also be helpful in the future.  Many thanks for your patient help and best regards!

0 Kudos