Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28465 Discussions

How could I download an old version of the Visual Fortran Compiler?

Stefano_G_
Beginner

Good afternoon everybody,

I need to work with "Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE 2012 SP1" but I can find it anywhere on the Intel Website, I just have access to the latest release of the compiler (2016).

Is there anyone who experienced a similar problem? Is there a solution?

Many thanks in advance,

Stefano Ghiringhelli

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Please see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product . What I remember from past requests such as yours is that they are based on a false presumption that a newer version will not be suitable. Fortran and Fortran compilers respect backward compatibility and code longevity. I suggest that you try a current compiler before deciding that your needs dictate that you get an older one.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Please see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product . What I remember from past requests such as yours is that they are based on a false presumption that a newer version will not be suitable. Fortran and Fortran compilers respect backward compatibility and code longevity. I suggest that you try a current compiler before deciding that your needs dictate that you get an older one.

0 Kudos
Stefano_G_
Beginner

Many thanks for the prompt answer.

I really don't know if the latest is suitable for my work. I have to use the compiler with Abaqus, and I was told by the Simulia Support that the latest version of Fortran are still to be tested. Maybe, as the license comprehend both the latest and older version I will try first with the new one.

Thankyou very much again,

Best regards.

Stefano

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

It would be helpful to other Abaqus users if you updated this thread with how things turned out and stated the version of Abaqus used.

0 Kudos
Stefano_G_
Beginner

I just completed the installation. By the end I used Abaqus 6.14, Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 and the trial version of Intel Fortran Composer XE 2016. Everything works fine.

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

Hi Stefano,

I have also had good success using Intel Fortran XE2015 and XE2016 to run Abaqus FEA with user subroutines on my Windows laptop.  For me, it is much easier to use the currently installed Fortran than to need to find and install an older version that happens to be specified by Abaqus.

Regards,
Greg

0 Kudos
Stefano_G_
Beginner

Hi Greg,

thanks, I also got the same result.

Since I am a PhD student and I use it to teach some brief classes in my university I was wandering if there is any free version. I found a free version for the compiler "Educator Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran OS X", but just for Mac, not for windows, if I am not wrong. Do you have any further information?        

​Thank you very much,

Stefano

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

When I was a PhD student, there was no Google, but it's hard to believe that is still a problem any student would face.  Still, how about

https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software/student

0 Kudos
Stefano_G_
Beginner

Thanks Tim,
​I had already found that link, and downloaded the "Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition", but it is a version for OS operative systems. I also tried to open it with powerISO or other kind of softwares, but without success. So that's why I was looking for a Windows version. I will try with he Cluster Edition and see if it works fine all the same.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

After reconnecting, I'm able to reach https://registrationcenter.intel.com/en/forms/?licensetype=2&productid=2489

which is the URL designated there to apply for a student Windows license .

0 Kudos
Stefano_G_
Beginner

Thank you very much for the support!

0 Kudos