Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

IVF XE16 Update 1 with VS2013 and VS2015 parallel

Neuenschwander__Reto

Hello

IVF XE16 Update 1 works fine with my Visual Studio 2013.

But with Visual Studio 2015 I can not link (I can only compile).

Error message --> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "/OUT:Release\Console1.exe"

VS 2013 and VS 2015 are installed on the same computer (parallel).

I have also IVF XE16 Update 1 deinstalled and new installed. Still the same problem.

Any ideas what I can do ? 

Sincerely Reto

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Dear Reto,

it seems that you do not use the 16.0.1.146 but the 16.0.xxx compiler. At my installation 'Latest' points still to 16.0 and not to 16.0.1.146. Here can you find how to change the settings:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/600496

For the manifest error it would be helpful to provide the BuildLog.htm for the Intel team.

Good luck, Johannes

0 Kudos
Neuenschwander__Reto

Dear Johannes

Thanks for your input.

But same behavior if I change form "<Latest>" to "..16.0.1.146..." (see new screenshot).

See also the attached "BuildLog.htm.txt"

Sincerely Reto

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Microsoft posted advice not to install VS2013 and 2015 side by side.  They don't seem to give advice on how to deal with associated install bugs.

It worked for me with an older version of VS2015.  Now with the current VS2015, I got it working by installing the current (Sept. 2015) sdksetup from MIcrosoft, and running a repair on VS2015 to switch it to that sdk.  Also, if ICL doesn't pick up the link from the Visual Studio 2015, you can use  -Qlocation,link to point to the VS2015 folder e.g.

-Qlocation,link,"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\\bin\AMD64"

In my experience, the windows kits\10\ folder installed by VS2015 (if you don't run sdksetup separately) is incomplete, but VS2015 vcvars.bat doesn't pick up the missing stuff from windows kits\8.x when you have multiple VS installations.  The full windows kits\10\ has \10.0.10240.0\ sub-folders but I don't think they date back to the original release of that.

If you wanted more C++-11 and -14 support, or partial C99 in support without engaging ICL, VS2015 might be worth installing.  It also has a little more built-in auto-vectorization, not to the extent of using AVX2 vperm instructions.  I haven't seen any advantage of VS2015 over 2013 in the Fortran support, which might compensate for the installation issues, few of which Intel could help with.

If you try to run CL in the Fortran environment, it looks for standard include files in the original \VC\include\ location, not in the windows kits\10\include\ where they have been moved by Microsoft.  psxe2016 update 1 didn't appear to fix this.  I haven't found out where ICL setup is breaking this.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have several systems with VS2015 and VS2013 installed and have not seen a problem.

The error messages in the build log suggest to me that some VERY old link.exe is being invoked, even though /Qlocation,link looks correct. It would be interesting to see what happens if you change the Linker property General > Suppress Startup Banner to "No".

0 Kudos
Neuenschwander__Reto

Thanks for your advices

Now it works --> VS2015 and IVF XE 2016 Update 1

History:
- The advices listed above did not help
- So I uninstall:
  - VS 2013 + 2015
  - IVF XE 2015, 2016, 2016 U1
- And Reinstall:
  - VS 2015 *
  - IVF XE 2016 & 2016 Update1 **

*) The instalation process stops at "LocalESPCui for en-us Dev12".
   So I had to reboot the computer.
   After reboot the instalation process continues automatically, but it asks me to give the path  to the msi file for "LocalESPCui..."
   I gave the path and now VB.net solutions can be compiled.

**) First I could not compile fortran solutions because mt.exe was missing. So I had to modify the installation and add the C++ components manually.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

I have just installed Community edition of VS2015, but the XE2016 installer does not want to allow me to install the integration to this version (it says it is installed, but the option is greyed out.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

David, with VS2015 you MUST choose to "Customize" the install and select Programming Languages > C++. If you don't, it won't install the C++ support.

I am trying this now.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Just tried it - works fine. I'm pretty sure you just accepted the default VS install, which won't work.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Hi Steve,

I'm sure I selected the C++ option when I installed VS2015.  I won't be able to sort this out until next week - will try again and let you know.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Steve,

The MS VS Community 2015 installer is bloated, inefficient, and buggy.

It has taken me many attempts over two weeks to get it installed properly and PSXE16 integrated with it.  Even when I downloaded the whole iso file instead of relying on downloading on the fly, there were missing components in the MSVS install, and often would hang after running for 8+ hours!  I came close to needing to rebuild my whole machine when the MSVS would not let me continue with the install, nor remove it.

Intel's great compiler is tarnished by MSVS.

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

David,

I agree it is bloated - it installs a lot of things Fortran programmers don't need - but it is free. We provide VS2013 Shell - the only reasons you might want the Community Edition is if you've got IVF under a Student license or also want the other MS languages.

That said, I have installed VS2015 Community myself and didn't have the problems you describe. I think it took me all of about 20-30 minutes to install. 

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Steve,

I have to use the Community edition on my home computer because although Intel's license permits me to have the compiler suite installed on two machines, the MSVS license is not so generous.

The VS2015 Community install often seemed to stall - not sure whether it was still downloading extra components - even after leaving my machine on overnight it did not appear to complete.

It's all good now, but was a very painful process.

David

0 Kudos