Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Very old .FOR Compile question

GWats1
New Contributor I

I'm trying to Compile a 1980's Fortran Code a friend wrote and having trouble with entering a filename. He opens unit 1 as 'CON'  with this statement: OPEN (1,FILE='CON')  and does some error checking. I'm thinking he meant CONSOLE 

I'm trying to compile as an x86 in Visual Studio and eventually I wanted to add Fortan_WinPrint and maybe try to figure out how to use GetOpenFileName to let the user pick a filename instead of having to type a name at a DOS prompt.

I got it to compile but when I try to type in the filename, I get an error that it can't read or something.

The ancient FOR file is attached and I commented out all the old JCL commands. 

compile_error.jpg 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

"CON" is one of the magic file names under MS DOS. Others are "PRN" and "NUL". And there were a few more, if I am not mistaken. "CON" is indeed the console. It is much better to write that as "READ(*,'(A)') FLNAME".

Oh, the code also uses control characters that will not work anymore, a "+" in the first column. It used to work specifically on printers.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
GWats1
New Contributor I

Hi Jim;

If you just hit a CR when it asks for the PYCURVE and E, it will default to a value he had in the FOR program.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Does the following program run or fail?

program Console15
    implicit none
    character(20) :: INFILE
    print *, 'Enter something'
    read(*,'(A)') INFILE
    print *, INFILE
end program Console15

That is a .f90 free form file name.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

>>The message says to see the Visual C++ docs but I'm wondering why it is a C++ problem since I'm using the Fortran compiler.

Fortran uses many of the C Runtime Library routines. Windows is build on that (so is Linux). I/O is performed by the operating system which is written in C/C++/assembler.

Also, you might want to check the MS VS Output Window (look for tab in the IDE)  to see where the C runtime libraries are coming from. 

On my sytem:

Output Window

'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Jim\Source\Repos\Console15\Console15\Debug\Console15.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\x86\aswhook.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\apphelp.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libifcoremdd.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imagehlp.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbase.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbased.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vcruntime140d.dll'.
'Console15.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libmmd.dll'. Symbols loaded.
The program '[23212] Console15.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

If you get something other than those in the SysWOW64 (for x86 build) or System32 (for x64 build), then the wrong version of the CRTL was being loaded.

Jim

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

There is the same problem listed here. Though the OP was using QuickWin.

Barbra_P_Intel suggested to download oneAPI (Base Kit and HPC Kit). The Base Kit has the C/C++ code and is a prerequisite for the HPC Kit that contains the Fortran code. 

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

I get the same darn error with your simple Hello World code.  I just started a new project and opened the F90 file as a source.

I've used this same VS17 interface to write some programs (with Arjen's help) to read an XML file and parse the data and design a base plate for a steel pole, so I'm wondering what went wrong in the last week or so.

I guess I'll try VS22 and see if that works.  I looked on my C: drive and found these Fortran update files:

c:\Software-Install-Files\Fortran\parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe
c:\Temp\parallel_studio_xe_2018_update2_composer_edition_for_fortran_online_setup.exe
c:\Temp\parallel_studio_xe_2018_update4_composer_edition_for_fortran_online_setup.exe
c:\Users\00000414\Downloads\Intel\parallel_studio_xe_2019_update6_composer_edition_for_fortran_online_setup.exe
c:\Users\00000414\Downloads\Intel\parallel_studio_xe_2020_update2_composer_edition_for_fortran_online_setup.exe
c:\Users\00000414\Downloads\parallel_studio_xe_2020_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe
c:\Users\00000414\Downloads\parallel_studio_xe_2020_update1_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe
c:\Users\00000414\Downloads\parallel_studio_xe_2020_update4_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe

GWats1_0-1678901674146.png

GWats1_1-1678901742427.png

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Do a "clean" and the a "full build" and post the buildlog.html file. We can then see the project type and option etc.  In suspect there is some problem in the project settings.

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

OK, here is the HTM:

Compiling with Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.5.0 [Intel(R) 64]...
ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"x64\Debug\\" /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc170.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:qwin /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.30.30705\bin\HostX64\x64" /Qm64 "J:\Apps\PLS\POST\DPA\test.F90"
Linking...
Link /OUT:"x64\Debug\QWin2.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"x64\Debug\QWin2.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"C:\Users\00000414\source\repos\QWin2\QWin2\x64\Debug\QWin2.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /IMPLIB:"C:\Users\00000414\source\repos\QWin2\QWin2\x64\Debug\QWin2.lib" -qm64 "x64\Debug\test.obj"
Embedding manifest...
mt.exe /nologo /outputresource:"C:\Users\00000414\source\repos\QWin2\QWin2\x64\Debug\QWin2.exe;#1" /manifest "x64\Debug\QWin2.exe.intermediate.manifest"
0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

From that I can see your project is being build as a Quickwin project type. The program you showed looks like is should be a console project. I would create a new (empty) console project in VS and add your source files to it and then try that. 

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Hello andrew;

OK, that worked and it ran the Console15 Code that Jim gave fine without error.

My dilemma is I have this old .FOR Code that I want to modernize somewhat. I've used the Fortran_WinPrint.F90 in several programs I wrote 30 years ago to be able to print output to a Windows Printer or PDF. I would also like to clean up the inputting of file names by selecting a file in a Dialog Window and pass the filename to this old .FOR routine. I believe there is a F90 routine that will do it.

Given those wishes, what would be the best solution type to start with?  I was using the x86 to do my SLN and editing .F90 and .FOR files to do the number crunching. I don't envision doing much or any graphic output.  

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Well sending things to printers is very "old school' these days. If you output is only text you may as well just create  text files you can always print those from windows rather the  from the application.  You will need quite a bit of time and learning to get a Windows Application or even a simpler QuickWin application set up for maybe not much real gain.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Look at the sample program Win32\GetOpenFIleName - this demonstrates how to prompt for a file using a standard Windows browse dialog.  I attach it here.

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Hello Dr Fortran;

I was hoping I would see you stop in and add something. If I can ever get this old .FOR to compile and run, I was going to try to use that getopenfilename code to prompt the user to input a file name. My next task is to get an OUTPUT filename where the user would type in a name and then there are a couple of default real number parameters that are needed. The existing code asks for a number and if the answer is blank or nul, he assigns the default. Someone else wrote this .FOR so I'm not sure what he was doing.

I was thinking I could make this DPA4r1.FOR as a subroutine and write a Main to call getopenfilename and pass the result to the old .FOR code and delete all his reading from the Console. IIRC, there is a Saveopenfilename that I read about?

My dilemma is which Solution Type should I use? The QuickWin gives the error I've been chasing all week and I thought I have been using the x86 or x64 but they get the error reading the input file too.

GWats1_0-1678909121939.png

I'm heading for the bus home in a couple of minutes so I won't be able to test anything until morning in Houston, Tx.      

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

There is GetSaveFileName - it works just like GetOpenFileName. You will want to use Fortran Console Application as the project type.

GWats1
New Contributor I

Many Thanks to all that helped.  I was able to do as Dr. Fortran said and start a new solution (I am a novice in VS and can barely navigate it) as a Fortran Console and added the old .FOR file plus the winprint F90 (have not tried it yet).

It compiled and I was able to get it to run. (Finally!)

My next task is to use the GetOpenFileName code to work instead of having the user type in a filename, but I will start a new thread for that. 

0 Kudos