Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

Visual Studio 2005 SP1 debug crash with IVF 10.1.030

lou-muccioli
Beginner

When I build the ANSYS software with IVF 10.1.30 and debug it with Visual Studio 2005 SP1, I get an immediate crash. However, I can click "continue" to continue on to my break point. My Intel Fortran and Microsoft C compiler options are as follows:

ifort /nowarn /Zi /O2/recursive /align:rec4byte /names:uppercase /traceback /libs:dll /threads /Qauto /Qopenmp /c

cl /O2 /Zi /D "_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE" /D "_VC80_UPGRADE=0x0710" /GF /EHsc /MD /GS /w /c /errorReport:prompt /openmp

Following is from the VS 2005 SP1 Output window when I click "Debug" followed by the traceback.

'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\ANSYS.exe', Symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\acclib.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_x-ww_ea198eaa\msvcr80.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\mnflib.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2help.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\libmmd.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\cadoe.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\libguide40.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_x-ww_ea198eaa\msvcp80.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\libifcoremd.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imagehlp.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\libifportmd.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.3790.3959_x-ww_AB06DEB0\comctl32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\netapi32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winspool.drv', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\glu32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddraw.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dciman32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\avifil32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msacm32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvfw32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\jpeg62.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\libtiff.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\png.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\My Documents\My Projects\Ansys Inc\V120\Build\x64\Debug\zlib.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_9e223a7a\vcomp.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
First-chance exception at 0x77d4dd10 in ANSYS.exe: 0xA1A01DB1: 0xa1a01db1.

TraceBack:

> kernel32.dll!0000000077d4dd10()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]
libguide40.dll!0000000003bd2ccf()
libguide40.dll!0000000003bd2b79()
libguide40.dll!0000000003c1394f()
ntdll.dll!LdrpRunInitializeRoutines() + 0x243 bytes
ntdll.dll!LdrpInitializeProcess() - 0x3d4e7 bytes
ntdll.dll!_LdrpInitialize() - 0x24c11 bytes
ntdll.dll!KiUserApcDispatcher() + 0x15 bytes
kernel32.dll!0000000077d59620()

Thanks,

Lou Muccioli
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Did this start occurring in relation to any IVF upgrade, code changes, etc. ?

I do not know for sure, but this may relate to ANSYS registering/handling its own interrupts. The exception code, 0xA1A01DB1, is unique and does not match any known exception codes.

Are you able to make a correlation between an ANSYS source file and the address in the error message?

David Kline has a nice concise explanation of first-chance exceptions: http://blogs.msdn.com/davidklinems/archive/2005/07/12/438061.aspx

Only if you determine this specific exception code is benign and it becomes a nuisance, maybe you can extend the exceptions under Visual Studio and choose to have the debugger ignore it. Under MSVS, select Debug > Exceptions then use the Add button to create a new custom named Win32 exception for this unique code. Once added, make sure the Thrown box is unchecked.

Maybe others have additional experiences or thoughts if this relates to custom interrupt handlers.
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Only if you determine this specific exception code is benign and it becomes a nuisance, maybe you can extend the exceptions under Visual Studio and choose to have the debugger ignore it. Under MSVS, select Debug > Exceptions then use the Add button to create a new custom named Win32 exception for this unique code. Once added, make sure the Thrown box is unchecked.

Seconded (mostly). Apparently, this is an exception internally defined and handled within Ansys -- you shouldn't know and shouldn't care what it is.

Basically, your debugger settings are misconfigured. Apparently, it is set to stop when any exception is thrown, and you've just discovered when it can be an annoyance. I have unchecked "Thrown" for all exception classes, and only checked it for selected Win32 exceptions (Access violation, stack overflow, couple of floating-point ones excluding underflow).
0 Kudos
lou-muccioli
Beginner

Did this start occurring in relation to any IVF upgrade, code changes, etc. ?

I do not know for sure, but this may relate to ANSYS registering/handling its own interrupts. The exception code, 0xA1A01DB1, is unique and does not match any known exception codes.

Are you able to make a correlation between an ANSYS source file and the address in the error message?

David Kline has a nice concise explanation of first-chance exceptions: http://blogs.msdn.com/davidklinems/archive/2005/07/12/438061.aspx

Maybe others have additional experiences or thoughts if this relates to custom interrupt handlers.

Yes, this just started happening with 10.1.030 and does not happen with 10.1.024. No, I cannot correlate the address with any source code, in fact I put a breakpoint in the ANSYS main and the crash occurs before entering ANSYS main. It's crashing in libguide40.dll based on the traceback. I can uncheck the Win32 Exceptions to ignore the exception but I've never had to do that before. Also, the program runs fine outside the debugger.

Thanks,

Lou Muccioli

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Are libguide40.dll and the other IVF libraries linked from the location below from 10.1.030 update, or 10.1.024?

'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:Documents and SettingslouMy DocumentsMy ProjectsAnsys IncV120Buildx64Debuglibguide40.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
0 Kudos
lou-muccioli
Beginner

Are libguide40.dll and the other IVF libraries linked from the location below from 10.1.030 update, or 10.1.024?

'ANSYS.exe': Loaded 'C:Documents and SettingslouMy DocumentsMy ProjectsAnsys IncV120Buildx64Debuglibguide40.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.

They are from the 10.1.030 update. I just copied the 10.1.024 libguide40.dll to my ...Buildx64Debug directory and I didn't get the first-chance exception. So, that pretty much narrows it down.
0 Kudos
lou-muccioli
Beginner
Quoting - lou-muccioli

They are from the 10.1.030 update. I just copied the 10.1.024 libguide40.dll to my ...Buildx64Debug directory and I didn't get the first-chance exception. So, that pretty much narrows it down.

FYI: I added /Qopenmp-lib:compat compiler option and linked with libiomp5md.lib and now the first-chance exception occurs in libiomp5md.dll.
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Good data points Lou, I appreciate that. I will try some tests at my end and update the thread when I have more news.
0 Kudos
lou-muccioli
Beginner

Good data points Lou, I appreciate that. I will try some tests at my end and update the thread when I have more news.

Just another minor data point, when I linked with the 10.1.024 libiomp5md.lib and ran with it's corresponding DLL, the crash didn't occur either. I'm going to revert back to 024 for now. IVF 11.0 is released correct? If so, I'll try that when I get a chance. Also, is there any way in the future to make my posts privateon this forum? In case I don't want the rest of the world to see anything proprietery/confidential.
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Yes, 11.0 is released. 11.0.072 is the latest available update for Windows.

As for private threads,I askSteve to chime in. I know there is a button for "Reply is Private", however, I do not know if external customers can initiate or change a thread to be private. Steve?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
To be honest, I have not used the "private thread" feature of the forum. It might make sense for Lou to use Intel Premier Support for this.
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The additional guidance I recieved is that customers do not have the ability to make a thread private but they can ask a private thread be initiated with them. Rather than doing this, as Steve recommends,matters of asenitive nature should be handled through Intel Premier Support.

We can take this thread up via Premier. Please just request the issue be assigned to me.
0 Kudos