Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

frame reordering with H.264 decoder

meekmeek
Beginner
I am using the H.264 decoder from 5.1 media_sample code package.
Does this version of the H.264 decoder do frame reordering ?

I didn't have any problem on H.264 Main profile video with the H.264 decoder from the 5.0 version.
Now, with the same H.264 main profile streams, and changing the decoder version to 5.1, the first displayed images are not reordered as the were with the 5.0 version which was playing fine.

I didn't change anything in my code except switching to the 5.1 version of the H.264 decoder.

Best regards.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

how do you see that H.264 decoder does not do reordering? What application do you use? Is it simple_player? If it is not, do you use UMC splitter in your application? Did you change it's version to 5.1 as well?

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
meekmeek
Beginner
I have just integrated the H.264 decoder (and all the other video decoder MPEG-4, MPEG-2, DV, MJPEG) in my application. I just need the UMC decoders as I have my own AVI splitter.

In this application, I provide the H.264 stream to the H.264 UMC Decoder et display the outputed image.
The problem only occurs when the playing is started and occurs just for a few seconds, after that everything is OK. This can be verified when I seek to another keyframe in the middle af the AVI file and starts playing, the behaviour is the same : frame disorder for a few second (1 or 2) and after that playing correctly.

I didn't have that behaviour with the 5.0 version of the H.264 UMC decoder on a main profile stream, and all the other decoder (MPEG2, MPEG4, MJPEG and DV) just play fine.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

thanks for your info, our experts will try to investigate what can be the issue here.

BTW, can you test the same streams with simple_player from IPP v5.1 media sample?

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
meekmeek
Beginner
Hi,

Problem seems to be resolved.
I was doing the decoder initialization calling the Init function when I was receiving the firts H.264 sample and after that I was calling the GetFrame method.

I correct this by doing a second MediaData.SetBufferPointer for the input data of the GetFrame method after the initialization. This seems to have corrected the reordering problem and the beginning of the sequence because now everything is playing fine.

Regards.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

That's great! We are interested in your feedback about IPP media sample, how you find its functionality, performance, usability. What is bad in documentation, which areas should be documented in more details, what kind of samples you feel are missedand so on.

Thanks,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
meekmeek
Beginner
The Media Sample codec are quite easy to integrate in third party code as the interface is simple and the same for each codec.

I have been able to code a simple Interface for our player which allows us to use a unique object to intantiate all of the codec (one interface for audio codecs and one interface for video codecs).

The performance are very interesting and all the codecs are working fine. We are using the MPEG4, MPEG2, H.264, DV and MJPEG video codec and the AC-3 and AAC audio codecs.

It does not take a lot of time to integarte and to test. Need a little debug time to see how to initialize the MediaData Object and the VideoCodecParams/AudioCodecParams in a correct way, but in a whole, media sample is quite easy to use and very useful when you need to use optimized video/audio codecs.

Best Regards
0 Kudos