Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16616 Discussions

Creating projects in Modelsim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I just started using modelsim and I cannot open new or existing projects. I have this error: 

# Unable to open project file C:/Users/.../modelsim/My_project.mpf 

# An error occurred while opening the project 

If I create a new project I just have this: 

# Unable to open project. 

But I can load/compiles files in the project layer and modelsim creates a work folder in the project folder, but I don't see "work" in the libraries of my project. 

I tried to import the folder "work" as a library but Modelsim tells it isn't a library. 

I even tried to uninstall completely Modelsim and reinstall it, I still have the same problem. 

Does anybody have an idea to help me?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, maybe ModelSim does not have rights. Disable "read only" if any on My_project.mpf and on the directory. 

Which version of ModelSim (Altera starter edition or altera edition v..) do you use ? 

Which Operationg system do you use (Windows 7) ? Do you have admin rights on your computer ? 

It may be a path problem (tools don't like space in directory names and in file name)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would move away from modelsim project files - use tcl files and command line interface instead. Its much less of a hassle.

0 Kudos