Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16619 Discussions

EDA netlist writer problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I have got a problem with Quartus II 10.1 (which I run on Windows 8). 

My goal is to load a simple VHDL-design into a cyclone IV (EP4CE22F17C6N) FPGA 

Analysis and compile work perfectly. However the EDA netlist writer returns this message : 

"... cannot generate output files. Specify command-line options to generate output files, or update EDA tool settings using GUI or Tcl script." 

I got the feeling I am stuck! Can somebody help me? 

Thanks in advance. 

Eric 

the Netherlands
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can try with the latest Quartus II 15.0 to see if issue still persist.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, as I check with the readme for Quartus II 11.1 (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/others/download/os-support/readme_qii111sp2.txt), it seems like 11.1 only support up to windows 7 but not windows 8. Since 10.1 is older than 11.1, it should not support windows 8 as well. This OS compatibility might also be the cause of your observation.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, I understand. Thank you. :) 

Eric
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are welcome.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You are welcome. 

--- Quote End ---  

OK, in order to avoid a lot of problems with insufficient support:  

I installed Quartus II 10.1 on a Windows 7 platform. 

However, I get the same error message when I execute the EDA netlist writer: 

"Warning: Can't generate output files. Specify command-line options to generate output files, or update EDA tool settings using GUI or Tcl script." 

(this should not be of any influence, but maybe it is good to mention: I am working with the DEO-nano FPGA board plus included Quartus installation DVD / distributor Terrasic). 

What is wrong here? 

Kind regards 

Eric
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Eric, 

Do you have a chance to try with the latest QII 15.0 to see if similar issue exist? If yes, then probably you might want to consider filing a ticket to Altera to seek clarification.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tiny, 

Thank you. Yes, that seemed to me also the next step to investigate this problem. 

Maybe the problem is the 32-bit and 64-bit system? 

When I try to install QII 15.0 the installer replies a message that QII 15.0 can not be installed on a 32-bit Windows 7 platform. I have installed QII  

ignoring this message. 

Has anyone experience with this kind of problem? 

Kind regards 

Eric
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have installed some Windows 8.1 updates and everything seems to be working correctly. Thanks.

0 Kudos